Use UltraTax -- but ditch File Cabinet?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Wiles  
TR can't develop software if their lives depended on it. :lol:

Fortunately Practice CS is the only product we use in their suite. We stopped paying the annual fee for "updates" 3 years ago? It sucks they have virtually abandoned this product. We migrated over from their prior program, Practice Solutions, because they stopped supporting that. We were afraid one day it would just stop working. Now, we are going to have to think about doing another migration soon.
Last edited by Wiles on 13-Sep-2018 3:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

I like UT overall, but agree the rest of TR's applications suck. And the costs are insane.

I'm still pondering switching to another platform but it'll have to be when I am not busy. I tried a couple on trials, including Drake, and could not even get the simplest 1040 to convert. That is a big concern to me, I would hate to have to manually enter prior returns again to proforma to current tax year.

Took some time, but managed to successfully export all FC files to individual tax client folders by year. In process, discovered UT was not printing all tax returns to FC. Not a huge issue since they still reside in UT, but yet another reason to not keep FC when it is not reliable enough to send files to FC through default settings. Process also helped me purge anything older than 7 years.

Glad to now be free of FC. Have never liked it!

CornerstoneCPA wrote:Took some time, but managed to successfully export all FC files to individual tax client folders by year. In process, discovered UT was not printing all tax returns to FC. Not a huge issue since they still reside in UT, but yet another reason to not keep FC when it is not reliable enough to send files to FC through default settings. Process also helped me purge anything older than 7 years.

Glad to now be free of FC. Have never liked it!

So do you have a new software platform or do you just have organized PDFs searchable through Windows Explorer?

CornerstoneCPA wrote:I like UT overall, but agree the rest of TR's applications suck. And the costs are insane.

I'm still pondering switching to another platform but it'll have to be when I am not busy. I tried a couple on trials, including Drake, and could not even get the simplest 1040 to convert. That is a big concern to me, I would hate to have to manually enter prior returns again to proforma to current tax year.

If I understand your post correctly, you tried converting UT returns to Drake using the conversion tool supplied by Drake and are saying it did not work correctly? I've been testing Drake and have used their UT conversion tool and it worked very well. It's not perfect, so you're not going to convert a 2017 UT return to Drake and have it exactly match, but with a few tweaks you can get it to match. You definitely would not need to manually enter much data before being able to proforma.

RazorbackCPA wrote:
So do you have a new software platform or do you just have organized PDFs searchable through Windows Explorer?

I have not switched to a new platform. Have tried several platforms to help organize files and do not like any of them compared to keeping organized folders.

09RoadKing wrote:
If I understand your post correctly, you tried converting UT returns to Drake using the conversion tool supplied by Drake and are saying it did not work correctly?

I was able to finally get the conversion tool to work, but there were other issues with Drake that kept me with UT. They each have their pros and cons, and as much as I dislike TR, UT is the better tax prep software for me.

I use File Center by Lucion Technologies for my paperless storage. It organizes files similar to Windows Explorer. For tax returns I print to a pdf from Prosystem fx directly to the client folder. For other files (Word, Excel) I save them in their native format to the respective client folder.

Previous

Return to Business Operations and Development