Tax Software Timeouts

Key tips and advice the working tax pro can use.
irc162  
Account Deactivated
Webster wrote:So Frankly, should software not time out at all? Or after one hour? Do you see no security risk in keeping a tax program open 24/7?

The point is that there needs to be a balance between security and usability. Many software packages time out after 20-30 minutes. That seems reasonbable. Drake is timing out after 10 minutes. I don't think the additional security provided by a 10 minute time out vs. a 25 minute timeout adequately offsets the increased hassle.

Webster  
I agree 10 minutes seems like a short time. My question was wondering what Frankly was thinking.

makbo  
Frankly wrote:You come in to work, turn on the computer, work all day, and shut it off when you go home.

Ha ha -- I recall you hate Windows, but I have to admit, Windows 10 will sometimes restart your computer even if you have turned it off, for example to install an update requiring restart (reboot). I have taken to not only hibernating, but physically unplugging the power cord to my desktop computer when I quit for the night.

Unfortunately, notebook computers with batteries have no such option. I have given up being annoyed at my "slop" computer (the one at the kitchen table where I never log in to anything, and have NoScript installed for my browser) starting up on its own in the middle of the night, because at least it's installing an update, and if it screws up, very little is at risk.

Don't underestimate the cleverness of hackers, some of whom are not actually evil. They can monitor your ambient noises (such as keyboard clicks) and analyze them with AI, and I hear it is impossible these days to buy a TV without a microphone. I highly recommend subscribing to Crypto-Gram by a very erudite and respected security researcher, it is an eye-opener to read a fairly believable source about what businesses and governments are doing in this arena.

Here are some recent blog posts:

Alex Stamos on Content Moderation and Security
El Chapo's Encryption Defeated by Turning His IT Consultant
Prices for Zero-Day Exploits Are Rising
Clever Smartphone Malware Concealment Technique
Military Carrier Pigeons in the Era of Electronic Warfare
Japanese Government Will Hack Citizens' IoT Devices
iPhone FaceTime Vulnerability
Security Analysis of the LIFX Smart Light Bulb
Security Flaws in Children's Smart Watches
Facebook's New Privacy Hires
Using Gmail "Dot Addresses" to Commit Fraud

makbo  
irc162 wrote: Many software packages time out after 20-30 minutes. That seems reasonbable. Drake is timing out after 10 minutes. I don't think the additional security provided by a 10 minute time out vs. a 25 minute timeout adequately offsets the increased hassle.

See post #10.

Webster  
And that is why I suggest that Drake's users talk to Drake as you suggested.

As far as Frankly turning his computer off, I am glad he does. But, I have worked with someone who found turning his computer on a bother, so it would be on for several weeks until it became sluggish enough he would reboot. Because the proprietor would turn the computer off if he saw it on after hours, this coworker started turning his monitors off. :roll:

irc162  
Account Deactivated
Webster wrote:And that is why I suggest that Drake's users talk to Drake as you suggested.:

Which brings us back to the reason for my original post. I did talk to Drake. They swore left right and sideways that a 10 minute timeout was mandated by the IRS. I gave them the benefit of the doubt. I put it to the forum. If there was documentation for a 10 minute timeout requirement, someone here would know about it. They don’t. Most software companies are using a longer timeout.

Other Drake users were given the same info as I was. A post on the Drake forum questioning their position on the 10 minute timeout was taken down.

It appears ( as Makbo suggested) that Drake has their own agenda---whatever that is. It’s not just the timeouts. Drake also made some questionable decisions regarding their approach to MFA. They are going in a different direction from the other software providers. It’s a direction that is likely to create multiple problems for its users (as evidenced by the problems cited on the Drake forum by users who tried to implement Drake’s version of MFA this year).

If Drake thinks it's approach to timeouts and MFA is somehow superior to what is being used by other companies, why don't they own it? Is this lack of transparency a symptom of larger problems at Drake?
Last edited by irc162 on 23-Feb-2019 9:27am, edited 1 time in total.

Frankly  
If the problem is bad remote access software the solution is to fix the remote access software, or not install it in the first place.
If the problem is Windows waking up and doing updates and other bad stuff, the solution is to shut it down - takes all of three clicks and 5 seconds once per day.

The "solution" of turning off the tax software after 10 minutes or 30 minutes doesn't fix anything. It's merely a fig leaf and is simple for the tax software folks to implement. They've successfully inconvenienced 100% of users for the sake of a remote possibility of a bad guy doing a bad thing in this manner.

Meanwhile I can't remember my very secure 12 character password of random letters, numbers, and symbols. The solution to that is to paste it in a txt file on the desktop so I can easily use it multiple times per day. It's wonderful to feel safe.

makbo  
Military Carrier Pigeons in the Era of Electronic Warfare

Darn, I thought at least one of our old-timers here would pick up on this! :D

disclaimer: I do not discriminate on account of age, I'm getting older myself, dontcha know.

novacpa  
makbo wrote:
novacpa wrote:I got the "jiggler" works great

... at decreasing your security. And if you ever have a security breach, be sure you let everyone know how you took steps to circumvent built-in security features in your software.

Nonsense - malbo - the Jiggler plugs into the usb port, keeps the open window - open, all others time out.
Pull out the "Jiggler"- and the "timeouts" are engaged, and resume - no security forfeited, at all.
As paranoid as you are about creatures invading your laptop in the wee-hours of the night - you may well want to Petition President Trump - to "Build a Wall" around your place, and make Jerry Brown "pay for it".

I purchased the jiggler after reading this thread. Just tested it while out to lunch and it didn't stop the programs shut down.

novacpa  
Jiggler - keeps one window open, if your tax program is "minimized" it will time-out.

ahh thanks for that, thats why it worked the first day and then didn't but now when i plug it in i get an "unrecognized device" so perhaps i also just got a defective one.

makbo  
The tingler - "a parasitic creature that grows when fear grips its host. " Yup, sounds right

Twin Turbo Z  
Account Deactivated
Free utility called "Mouse Move" is your friend. They do ask for donations, but not necessary. Google it !!

irc162  
Account Deactivated
I have been using the mouse jiggler for about a month and it works great. If only it coulde be programmed to give my office mate's tennis ball a toss now and again it would be just about perfect.

novacpa  
makbo wrote:The tingler - "a parasitic creature that grows when fear grips its host. " Yup, sounds right
:lol:

It's jiggler not tingler - you won't find it in an Oakland adult store.

Previous

Return to Tax Prep: Important tips and advice