ideas to increase efficiency

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
used to be able to find highly competent retired people who wanted to work part-time. The people I know who fit that description either don't need the money or if they did, they sold their 3 bedroom home in the Bay Area for over a million and moved to a cheaper area.

smtp, thanks again for describing how to make full use of TicTieCalculate. They have a video that is very informative. Even learned some stuff about Acrobat too. https://vimeo.com/279537358 you might have to sign up at Vimeo to access.

They didn't go over some fine points such as has to rename a bookmark or how to deal with docs that come in late. I assume I used Acrobat insert function and then TTC bookmark.

At first I thought I could include Excel sheets in pdf files that combine separate pdfs. No error message, but no Excel sheet converted to pdf. Guess have to print to pdf first.

Wouldnt' want to manually bookmark entire tax returns when I could use Gruntworx or SurePrep or one of the services provided by Profx or UTax. But would use template from TTC to add late arriving docs, as well as the tickmarking, cross referencing, sign off, adding machine imbedded tax functions. Oddly my version doesn't show template for UltraTax or SurePrep or Profx as training video did. Does yours show those other templates?

smtcpa  
Len, renaming the bookmark is as easy as going to the page to rename, open up the bookmark function in TTC, and bookmark it like it is a brand new document. For docs that come in late, it is exactly as you describe.

I've not used Gruntworx or SurePrep yet. Guess I could never justify the cost with my admin doing all the work. But I do want to check it out. I do not have an UltraTax template, nor have I seen one. I will have to watch the video. You can customize it add templates, maybe that bis what they did for marketing purposes. I don't see how templates between software would be different; maybe in order of input screens?

lenraphael wrote:smtp, thanks again for describing how to make full use of TicTieCalculate. They have a video that is very informative. Even learned some stuff about Acrobat too. https://vimeo.com/279537358 you might have to sign up at Vimeo to access.

They didn't go over some fine points such as has to rename a bookmark or how to deal with docs that come in late. I assume I used Acrobat insert function and then TTC bookmark.

At first I thought I could include Excel sheets in pdf files that combine separate pdfs. No error message, but no Excel sheet converted to pdf. Guess have to print to pdf first.

Wouldnt' want to manually bookmark entire tax returns when I could use Gruntworx or SurePrep or one of the services provided by Profx or UTax. But would use template from TTC to add late arriving docs, as well as the tickmarking, cross referencing, sign off, adding machine imbedded tax functions. Oddly my version doesn't show template for UltraTax or SurePrep or Profx as training video did. Does yours show those other templates?

TTC tech support: "For docs that come in late, you will add them via the TTC function. If you add them using the Acrobat insert function you will not be able to repaginate later. If you don't plan on using the repaginate feature of TTC, then you will be fine to insert. Otherwise, use the "Insert Pages" button inside TTC for late docs. See the first step of this guide: Editing Pages <https://tictiecalculate.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011469874-Editing-Pages> "

Not being able to repaginate if using Adobe insert function does not sound good.

Yes, TTC removed the SurePrep bookmark template because it had some issues and SurePrep has not provided a replacement.

UltraTax is not provided either. I think they do support Lacerte, Gruntworx, and ProFx bookmark structures but not UltraTax or SurePrep?

if I understood the TTC tech correctly, it would be faster to wipe out a bookmark structure from the unsupported UltraTax or SurePrep and re bookmark from scratch using the TTC default tax return template than to attempt to insert a bunch of new pages. I'll ask SurePrep what they recommend other than their document management system which I don't want to use.

smtcpa  
lenraphael wrote:TTC tech support: "For docs that come in late, you will add them via the TTC function. If you add them using the Acrobat insert function you will not be able to repaginate later. If you don't plan on using the repaginate feature of TTC, then you will be fine to insert. Otherwise, use the "Insert Pages" button inside TTC for late docs. See the first step of this guide: Editing Pages <https://tictiecalculate.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011469874-Editing-Pages> "

Not being able to repaginate if using Adobe insert function does not sound good.

Hmmmm....I use Adobe to insert ALL the time. It works fine. Every once in a while I have an issue but I always attributed it to my admin not doing it correctly the first time. But the other 99% it works fine.

lenraphael wrote:Yes, TTC removed the SurePrep bookmark template because it had some issues and SurePrep has not provided a replacement.

UltraTax is not provided either. I think they do support Lacerte, Gruntworx, and ProFx bookmark structures but not UltraTax or SurePrep?

if I understood the TTC tech correctly, it would be faster to wipe out a bookmark structure from the unsupported UltraTax or SurePrep and re bookmark from scratch using the TTC default tax return template than to attempt to insert a bunch of new pages. I'll ask SurePrep what they recommend other than their document management system which I don't want to use.

I really am perplexed by this. TTC does not import into UT, so why would there be a difference between softwares? Makes absolutely no sense. We use UT and just tweaked the TTC Default structure. I am obviously missing something because it does not matter what software you use. It is all exactly the same and there is no interaction between TTC and the tax software.

smtcpa. Understood that bookmarked pdfs whether from Gruntworx, UTax etc don't "populate" the tax software.

And also surprised by the tech's comment that the TTC repaginate wouldn't function once you use the Acrobat insert function. You mention using Acrobat insert function frequently. Do you then repaginate using the TTC icon or directly use the Adobe insert function?

Don't know how I avoided adding bookmarks to wp's all these years. Very simple if you use Acrobat or a full clone. In Adobe Ctrl-b adds or right click to get started. No need to get TTC for that. Very very short tutorial. https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/how- ... f-document

What I don't grasp is what TTC bookmark "templates" really are. My impression is that they are "just" lists of recommended categories for the user to insert bookmarks within. Would have to test to see what happened if you opened a pdf in Acrobat that was already bookmarked by say ProFx and you applied one of the TTC templates. I'm guessing it would be a confusing mashup which you could then edit.

smtcpa  
lenraphael wrote:And also surprised by the tech's comment that the TTC repaginate wouldn't function once you use the Acrobat insert function. You mention using Acrobat insert function frequently. Do you then repaginate using the TTC icon or directly use the Adobe insert function?

Don't know how I avoided adding bookmarks to wp's all these years. Very simple if you use Acrobat or a full clone. In Adobe Ctrl-b adds or right click to get started. No need to get TTC for that. Very very short tutorial. https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/how- ... f-document

What I don't grasp is what TTC bookmark "templates" really are. My impression is that they are "just" lists of recommended categories for the user to insert bookmarks within.

Yes, I repaginate using TTC. I don't know how Adobe would know the order to repaginate. In fact, I don't know if there even is a repaginate function in Adobe. The beauty of the templates is that they are in any order you want; I have mine in order of input which is roughly the order of the 1040, and they provide templates and sub-bookmarks for sub-categories. (click here for an example of my bookmarks: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxffmt87xks0k ... e.png?dl=0).

But once you add a page and repaginate it puts it in the order of the input. There are many other features that make it worthwhile as well.

I have not had time to look at my TTC trial. Are you able to mark it up and send to a client with all annotations and calculations, or are they only viewable with TTC?

havent tried it, but the TTC tutorial says you can send it with the bookmarks etc to your clients. Might have been via the TTC function "save as" which lets you decide which of their modifications you want the copy for your client to contain. TTC is using built in Adobe Acrobat functions so I would think anything Adobe lets you send to another user, TTC would also.

smtcpa  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:I have not had time to look at my TTC trial. Are you able to mark it up and send to a client with all annotations and calculations, or are they only viewable with TTC?

The bookmarks and annotations are viewable by anyone who opens it with Adobe (presumably the free option as well). TTC is not required to view them.

Regardless of whether you use TTC or not:

short tutorial on Acrobat Bookmarks: https://www.evermap.com/Tutorial_ABM_101.asp

Most useful tips in it:

To change the page to which an existing bookmark points: select the page you want to point to, then highlight the bookmark, right click, set destination.

To use a bookmark to open an external file such as Word or Excel doc
Create a new bookmark from the bookmark panel icon
Right click, select properties, Action, Open a file, Add, Ok

You can open webpages etc
You can open up specific pages in other pdfs

To make sub bookmarks you can drag it under the one you want to be parent
But you can also right click and cut the one or ones you want to move, then go to the parent, right click and Paste under Selected Bookmark

You can move bookmarks the same two ways.

Finding the TTC bookmarking frustrating for longer documents, such as organizers. They're not being bookmarked in the same order they are viewed and have the bookmarks set. Upon repaginating, they are becoming completely out of order.

Corner, this might be what the TTC tech warned me about: that you have to use the TTC tools to modify or repagination breaks. They're pretty fast on tech support emails. Please post what they tell you.

lenraphael wrote:Corner, this might be what the TTC tech warned me about: that you have to use the TTC tools to modify or repagination breaks. They're pretty fast on tech support emails. Please post what they tell you.

That's the problem, I AM using the TTC tools for it. I'll shoot them an e-mail and see what they say. Basically useless if a 30-50 page organizer is out of order based on however their software bookmarks.

btw, there is a handy "ruler" icon in TTC which you can stretch and thin out. Useful for viewing pdfs on large monitors to line when eyes get tired. Oddly in centimeters.

zl28  
i'm finding accepting credit cards thru quickbooks online is saving nice time. sure i don't love to pay the fee...but if i'm paying $15 on a $500 fee...and i don't have to go to bank or send someone to bank, or do the bookkeeping work (as qbo does it for you when you use their credit card)...turns out not to be such a bad deal. if a bill is like 3k, then i dont' want to pay 3% on that, so i'll not offer option for pymnt by cr cd there. Also, people are paying way, way more promply when i send over quickbooks online bill with option to pay by card with the 8879.

has anyone messed with using the TTC "customize template" web tool?

smtcpa  
Yes, we have our templates customized a bit. Works well if you follow their instructions.

lenraphael wrote:has anyone messed with using the TTC "customize template" web tool?

I created a custom template without much hassle, but still dealing with bookmark issues with TTC that they cannot seem to figure out. I am supposed to have a remote session with them so they can figure out why my pages are ending up out of order and bookmarks are not in order after bookmarking/repagination. Very frustrating when 140+ pages of documents end up in reverse or some random order, even after removing all bookmarks applied by TTC.

zl28 wrote:i'm finding accepting credit cards thru quickbooks online is saving nice time. sure i don't love to pay the fee...but if i'm paying $15 on a $500 fee...and i don't have to go to bank or send someone to bank, or do the bookkeeping work (as qbo does it for you when you use their credit card)...turns out not to be such a bad deal. if a bill is like 3k, then i dont' want to pay 3% on that, so i'll not offer option for pymnt by cr cd there. Also, people are paying way, way more promply when i send over quickbooks online bill with option to pay by card with the 8879.

I'll gladly pay 3% on any fee if it means being paid sooner and/or not having to mess with depositing a check...$90 on $3k is pretty insignificant. And while my bank is literally across the street, I still waste 15 minutes to do a single deposit when the rare check arrives--virtually every payment I receive is electronic.

There isn't a way to automate it based on payment type, but it is now allowable to charge a reasonable merchant processing fee for ones you know will pay via credit card. The $1 or $1.50 fee for eCheck payments is still one of the lowest I have come across, given the simplicity of it all. I do add a 3% fee when it is a reimbursement being paid by credit card, but not for service fees.

And agree, I send the invoice at same time as forms they need to sign to suggest I will not file without being paid. I basically never have to wait more than a day or two for payment.

PreviousNext

Return to Business Operations and Development