EA Employed by Suspended CPA

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
No one 'owns' a client.

I took several from my old firm with me when I left. I knew I could service them much better as I was familiar with many tax credits for film and research which my previous firm would never dare to learn about them. I save hundreds of thousands for my clients annually. I'd think it would be an ethics violation not to poach, regardless of whether my old firm was up or down.

Sumwuns boss man has an issue of holding himself out as a CPA while suspended and feels necessary not to bother rectifying the issue. If **** hits the fan and he loses clients I would have no sympathy for him since he brought it on himself.

My first reaction to the idea was flippant. It really is a troubling situation. Continuing to work for someone who is representing clients to the IRS while suspended is ethically questionable. I am very happy not to be in those shoes.
Because on T.A. ten was the most you were allowed

While I don't necessarily agree with them, I appreciate the counter-opinions to my comment - thank you everyone.

Ten let me ask you - - is he representing clients for which he was the preparer? If so, I thought I remember something from back in school to where you could be an un-rated practitioner and still do this. They are not having you sign POAs and tax returns that you didn't prepare, right?

makbo  
ItDepends wrote:I thought I remember something from back in school to where you could be an un-rated practitioner and still do this.

You should un-remember that, it's changed.

Thanks all for the thoughts. Our EA chapter met this morning and another member, knowing something of the situation in which I find myself, initiated a discussion. I now feel much happier and know what I must do. Monday is not going to be a fun day, but knowing I have strong support will help in doing what I must do.

Planning a "come to Jesus" meeting with your boss? I hope that it goes well. If you explain things to him the right way, he may see that you are actually trying to help him by insisting that he avoids holding himself out as a CPA while his license is inactive.
Because on T.A. ten was the most you were allowed

Thanks, Tenletters. We have regular sit-down meetings so I am just going to use the next one to tell him what I am doing.

RuthC  
SumwunLost.....I was in a similar situation years ago. It led to sleepless nights and stressful days leading to my having to make a decision one way or another. Trust me, after you make a decision to leave or stay, once you speak with him you will feel so much better. Do not give up your integrity for anyone or for any amount of money. You have people here that are supporting you even though they don't respond.

Well, things have resolved themselves. We parted ways yesterday. He initiated it. He was close to tears but I am in a good place mentally.

So now the rest of my life begins. My wife has a stable job and as good as it gets these days with health insurance. I think it's time for some temp work (I am open to offers...) and see if I can build up a business in the meantime.

He broached the subject of me finishing off some representation work for him. I am in two minds about that - he has not yet regained his CPA license in either state. It would be on a contract basis and he'd have to pay full professional rates.

Anyway, to those who have offered thoughtful responses to this and other threads where I have been conflicted, thank you from the bottom of my heart. The support I have received here, from my local EA chapter and from past & present employees of my former employer has helped to keep me on an even keel.

Thanks for the update.

If your wife has a good job and you are looking to build up your own business, I bet you that you will have TONS of clients in just a few years time. CPAs and EAs are an under-saturated market nation wide.

If you build it, they will come.

Treat them nicely and you will be wealthy.

Best of luck Sumwun! Check out indeed.com if you are looking for employment (even some part-time jobs are posted there). If you really want to build your own business, go for it!!!

I put some feelers out over the weekend, Seaside. I think temp work is the way to go right now. I have four eight-week semesters to go to get my BS in accounting after thirty-seven years, so having flexibility would be nice if the bank manager will let me do that!

sjrcpa  
Best of luck to you. In the long run, I'm sure you will see that being away from that situation is for the best.

makbo  
One thing I've learned over my years -- one step back almost always leads to >= two steps forward.

Previous

Return to Business Operations and Development