How is QB 2019 running on your computer?

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
makbo  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:I experience continuous crashes or freezing of QBD, mostly 2018 and 2019, though it has been occurring more with 2019. Nothing wrong can be found with the data files or installations, everything else runs perfectly on my PCs and other computers where I have experienced routine issues with QBD crashing.

Well, anecdotes are anecdotes. My story is the opposite: I have been using QBD since version 2007 as I recall, and I don't think I've experienced more than maybe two or three crashes in all that time, on dozens of different company files and at least 3 or 4 different computers. And those crashes were anomalies, they never happened again with the same file.

More importantly, if there were system-wide bugs with Quickbooks version 2019, I read enough different news items and blogs on QB that I'm sure I would have seen someone write about it before now.

It does seem pretty clear that something in the user's environment, either Windows config, hardware, or maybe even a network issue (especially since you say doing payroll triggers the freeze) is causing the problem, not a bug in the QBD software itself.

We'll have agree to disagree--you can view them as anecdotes to disregard, they are real issues whether you want to admit it or not. I have been using QBD for a very long time, all versions including Enterprise, with a strong background in IT, and while I have had more issues with 2018-2019 than prior "year" releases, it has consistently become less stable, in nearly all environments I work with (including clients and former employers), beginning around 2013 releases. Intuit does not care, they have such an insanely large share of the market they are not concerned about instability because they know there is not a viable alternative at this point.

QBD will eventually be killed off in favor of the shitty QBO environment, so that makes them care even less. Hopefully I'll be retired or pursuing other interests when that occurs.

You remind me of Apple fanboys, and Apple, that refused to acknowledge when 2011 release laptops had severe WiFi connectivity issues, yet there were 400+ page threads on Apple's own forums discussing the issue. I found numerous threads of 2019 QBD users experiencing crashes in a quick Google search.

makbo  
Ugh - not a fan of Apple, ever (I know, that's not exactly what you said, but just need to be clear). I'm not really that big a "fan" of Intuit, but in all the decades I've been using their products (TurboTax, ProSeries, and Quickbooks), they've worked well for me.

Among all the other links you found , surely you also found this from the official Intuit support site:

Solutions for when QuickBooks stops working

So while I won't dispute that QB may have problems for some users, I also think it's only fair to at least go through the officially supported troubleshooting steps before casting stones. There are many detailed logs that should be examined, for starters.

To prove that something is a bug in QB, you have to be able to state how to reproduce the error. All I'm saying is, I don't see any proof this freezing is due to a bug in QB. Maybe it is; maybe not -- it's undetermined as of now. As actionbns wrote, " It just seems so incredibly weird that I can do everything on my computer that she needs to do with no problem. It has to be related to her computer I think."

dsocpa  
I have used QB since. 1999. I’ve been a certified Pro Advisor for just about the same length of time. This year I’ve had more issues than I can remember in a very long time. Recently with desktop I had a client whose 2018 file randomly wouldn’t export reports to excel. I went to Intuit’s accountant community site and discovered other’s were having the same issue. Got some suggestions one of which were uninstall reinstall Windows. I was not willing to do that on the clients machine. Contacted Intuit and we attempted the uninstall reinstall of just the QB file with no luck - tech said Windows was the problem. There had just been a Windows update so I don’t doubt that was part of the issue. However, I could install a back-up of their file and the excel export worked fine and I had just installed the Windows update on my machine. The client contacted their tech guy. He said he had another client with the same issue and spent 3 hours trying to resolve with Intuit - no luck - was told he his client needed to switch to QBO. Meanwhile, I discovered QB Desktop was known for having issues with Office 365. Again, I was not touching their Windows program. I kept reading that Intuit does read the program suggestions so I kept emailing about the issue and posting on the community. For 3 months I just used the client’s back-up file on my machine for excel exports. Then randomly the program started working again with excel!
I tell my clients QB, especially pro and lower-end QBO users the programs were never meant to be top of the line accounting software but an affordable solution for small businesses and professionals. The software has bugs. Its written by IT professionals for the most part and they don’t always understand accounting. Many clients still think the program is a replacement for a qualified accountant and bookkeeper and, apparently IT support. Intuit currently has a 95% market-share in the low-end accounting software space. 99% of my clients have purchased the software before coming to me so getting them to try another software package has been impossible. For some it’s just not a good fit. The DIY clients think any idiot can use the program and seem to have ego issues when it comes to engaging an accountant to at least review the file throughout the year. They don’t get that this increases the chance of incorrect reports, errors on tax returns And increases the expense of tax prep. I think as a profession we need to start educating clients that insist on using the program without at least some oversight and at least recommend a professional complete the set-up. Intuit needs to start stating professional set-up and oversight is recomended when selling the product - chances of that happening are practically 0.

Back to the issue at hand, the client was able to work with tech support to get the program functional. I'm hoping it is the solution. She tells me that they had her save the .iif file to her desktop, then they did a re-install. Now it works. It seems odd to me because .iif files are lists so I'm not sure why saving that and re-installing would solve her issues. She needs to do a payroll in the next few days, so she will be going back to the program. If all is right with the world, the "fix" will stay "fixed". A part of me isn't so sure. When you go to the fixes offered by Intuit, one of the suggestions is to rename the .ini file, but there's no mention of the .IIF files, soooooo.

BTW, dsocpa, I agree, it's incredibly annoying and insulting that Intuit markets QB as a solution to preclude the need for an accounting professional and they actually tell people on the box with the program that no accounting knowledge is needed for the buyer to run the financial end of their business with the software. That's a common complaint between the accounting/tax world and Intuit - they want us in their back pocket, but constantly denigrate our existence. If there were another program out there that was as easily available, I'd suggest all of my clients switch to it, but there's not.

dsocpa  
It is a sad state of affairs actionbsns. I’m afraid as accountants we often don’t toot our own horn and speak up.
I did mean to mention a very long time ago a client of mine was having issues with QB and we had to do a fresh install. The tech rep told me then to put the company file on the desktop to restore. Not sure why but I don’t profess to be a techie.

I'm having same issues with 2020 that I have had since 2018 (each subsequent year gets worse), of constantly crashing upon opening a second file or another version of Quickbooks. This is on a completely different network and computer and new company files.

Quickbooks is deteriorating, very quickly, in terms of stability. I am probably moving my firm and some clients to AccountingSuite, but always have to have access to QB because of its prevalence.

Previous

Return to General Accounting