Document Management Software

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Also, FYI, since someone mentioned Intuit's DMS, they heavily promote only using Intuit Link despite offering the SmartVault integration. Since I believe I am switching to LaCerte, I am either not going to use LInk at all, or only use portions of it. I do not intend to switch my clients to yet something else when I just switched them away from ShareFile--and the DocuSign integration with SmartVault is simply excellent. If I use Intuit Link (which seems nice, but they have no demo), it will be for clients to deliver supporting documents to me, and SmartVault will be for engagement/mandatory forms, efile, final work, etc., as my ultimate DMS.

I used eFileCabinet when it first came out and absolutely hated it. Perhaps it has improved since then, looks like they have changed it, dramatically. The software simply did not work as marketed, and the founder of the company refused to do anything to assist. And it WAS NOT cheap software at the time.

TaxCut  
I also plan on swtiching to SmartVault from Drakes SecureFile Pro.

It is easy enough to print return to SmartVault from Drake.

I plan on sticking with Drake as my tax software but one nice feature about Lacerte is that you can send a copy of the return to the printer, DMS and SmartVault all in one step. I don't know if that's worth the extra cost of Lacerte though. :lol:

Just depends on your practice and desires. I am used to using premium tax software (UT), and pass all costs along to tax clients, so it does not bother me except when I initially have to fork out money. The improved UIs, resources, and reliability of asset modules, for example, make it worthwhile as my tax base expands and I end up filing in more and more states, and increasingly complicated returns.

I'm signed up at Smart Vault for at least a year now. I'm still working out some issues, mostly user type issues. It's falling into place though and I've connected now with three clients who will tell me what they think on their end and understand any mistake I might make. One thing bothers me that I can't do anything about is that tech support is outsourced to India. I spoke with two people the other day, one with an accent so thick I had a really hard time understanding her, she finally reduced the conversation to three articles to help solve the problem. Later someone called me and I asked where she was located, she said India and I said I preferred someone from the US. I don't feel comfortable turning my computer over remotely to outsourced tech support. I have an account manager who is in Texas and I think he'll be a great help for whatever else might come up. Generally I'm pretty comfortable with the program. I really appreciate all the help that I've gotten here.

TaxCut  
Update or I guess review on SmartVault. I am rethinking my use of SmartVault and will probably stick with SecureFilePro through Drake.

There are 738 clients exported to SmartVault, 147 missing email addresses, 284 not invited yet, 76 invited, 231 Activated.

Of the 231 maybe 10 use it and of those 10 at least 5 have contacted the office to say they can't login or if we can just email the return. Seems like we're providing a service that is not being used. I took over an office and this is how it was setup by prior preparer. The way I see it is too much work to have assistant upload docs to system that's not being utilized.

Anyone see it differently.

smtcpa  
Yes, we are almost 100% portal. Everyone uses is to access returns and upload documents. Not everyone uploads all documents (many still drop off or mail-in) but almost everyone will get their returns through the portal.

TaxCut wrote:Update or I guess review on SmartVault. I am rethinking my use of SmartVault and will probably stick with SecureFilePro through Drake.

There are 738 clients exported to SmartVault, 147 missing email addresses, 284 not invited yet, 76 invited, 231 Activated.

Of the 231 maybe 10 use it and of those 10 at least 5 have contacted the office to say they can't login or if we can just email the return. Seems like we're providing a service that is not being used. I took over an office and this is how it was setup by prior preparer. The way I see it is too much work to have assistant upload docs to system that's not being utilized.

Anyone see it differently.

TaxCut  
smtcpa wrote:almost everyone will get their returns through the portal.

Do you not provide a printed copy? Or do you give them a printed copy and also upload to portal?

I plan on providing a printed copy to those who want it and upload to portal for those who want to use portal. I also plan on pushing for clients to submit docs through portal. Docs in portal will be available for up to 1 year I guess. Haven't decided. I just don't plan on maintaining a portal for all clients if they're not using it. I think SecureFilePro can do what I need as well as esignature and collect payments. May not not be as robust as SmartVault but it gets the job done quickly and efficiently.

Critics of my planned procedure are welcome....

Yesterday I started working in Smart Vault with more of a purpose instead of at the learning level. I'm going slowly so that when I start adding clients more rapidly I'll be more knowledgeable of the software and have confidence in it and what I'm doing. With the clients added at this point, those who are tolerant of the learning curve and will work with me not knowing everything, I've added 2018 and 2017 tax returns and have scanned in the source documents. I'm still on the fence about how quickly I will trust this method and actually become a paperless office. I can see the benefits, but I still like having my hands on the paper. I can also see that sliding to the background as I get more used to it.

I do like the program, I don't like the idea of tech support being in India, although I have been able to speak with someone in Texas. I won't release control of my computer to someone outside the US. I've told them that and they have been tolerant of working through a couple of issues. The idea of tech support in India isn't just the fact that the person is in a different country, it's communication skills as well. Last week I had an issue with the portal for one client, which was worked out, but getting there was a challenge at the communication level as well as the problem itself. The English of the tech guy was limited and writing a clear sentence in English was a challenge. Some of what he wrote just didn't make sense. I did speak on the phone with another tech person, and had a similar problem, the accent and use of the English language was a challenge. It's kind of hard to review the support that has been given and not sound like a racist jerk in this instance. But the people trying to help have to be able to communicate in our language well, or it just doesn't work.

Cornerstone, what remote access application are you using that you can install onto someone's computer? The two that I've used are Log Me In and Go To My PC. Both of them require subscriptions by me and the client and can get costly for the client who only needs me to be in their file once or twice a year for a few hours, or just long enough to do the payroll taxes, or whatever is required. My clients have balked at the cost.

Previous

Return to Business Operations and Development