Tax review checklist

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
BFStax  
When I worked for a CPA firm before going out on my own we used a review checklist on all 1040 returns. Items to double check such as filing status, prior year carryovers, reconciling Sch C, etc.. The preparer would initial each question, then the final reviewer/partner would initial each one to signify the return had gone through the review process and ready for filing.

I've been using this same template for years but feel with the new tax laws it might be slightly outdated or could use general year/year updating. Does anyone know if there are such checklists available either through an organization or for purchase? I believe AICPA tax section has something like this but I don't belong. Or maybe someone is willing to share what they use.

Ed Mendlowitz has one that he will gladly share with you.
It is VERY comprehensive and been through years of experience.

Mr. Mendlowitz writes a regular column.
~Captcook

I use the AICPA checklists and their organizers as well. They are updated annually and the 2018 tax year ones did have updates regarding the TCJA.

You do have to belong to the tax section to access them though. Considering tax section members also get The Tax Adviser magazine and four free quarterly CPE webinars, the section membership is well worth the annual $240 IMO.

ATSMAN  
Does your tax software provider offer any checklists? I use that and a modified version from Taxbooks.

jesella  
It sounds like AICPA offers a good selection of resources. It's too bad they don't seem to welcome EAs. Even the "Non-CPA Associate" membership essentially requires you to work for a CPA. I get it... it's the AICPA after all, but if it were me, I'd be happy to accept dues from anyone in the profession willing to accept the code of conduct for a non-voting membership :)

Return to Business Operations and Development