Thinking of going 100% probono

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
makbo  
Jake wrote:I am 77.[...] I currently prepare 14 returns for elderly legacy clients. [...] I don't need the income.

None of those things have a bearing on meeting professional responsibilities.

Preparing 14 returns for people who are not members of your immediate family (and who used to pay you the going rate) to me in no way satisfies "non paid preparer" status.

makbo  
ATSMAN wrote:If all Jake does is look at the taxpayer as the taxpayer prepares their own return on their own software, I think it might be considered as a tax voyeurism :twisted:

A different security protocal may apply :P

I actually do this for a good friend of mine. He sits at the computer, logs in to a well-known DIY (online) tax program and gives me a bottle or two of beer while he prepares the return and I make occasional critical comments based on what I see on the screen.

makbo  
ATSMAN wrote:
They still can't take away your PTIN, even if you don't have a written data security plan.

I am not so sure about that statement. IF IRS determines that you have violated a rule, they do have the option from barring you to prepare tax returns and file for others.

No, they don't.

See Sexton v. Hawkins, US District Ct., Nevada Dist., October 30, 2014.

TheTaxBook wrote:"The IRS can suspend from practice any attorney, CPA, or EA that violates the rules and regulations contained in Circular 230. Suspension from practice means the individual is no longer allowed to represent taxpayers before the IRS. Taxpayer representation does not include the act of preparing tax returns for clients. (Loving, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, February 11, 2014)"

ATSMAN  
gives me a bottle or two of beer while he prepares the return and I make occasional critical comments based on what I see on the screen.

IMHO you are a paid preparer not probono

makbo  
ATSMAN wrote:
gives me a bottle or two of beer while he prepares the return and I make occasional critical comments based on what I see on the screen.

But you yourself said, " I think it might be considered as a tax voyeurism ". I should correct a fact in my original statement -- since my friend no longer drinks alcohol, I actually bring my own beer to his house.

Even if I agreed that I was a paid preparer in this situation (which I don't), there is no place in the software he uses to enter a PTIN and sign as a paid preparer, and even if there was, I don't have his password and therefore cannot enter or change a single thing on his return.

ATSMAN  
makbo wrote:
ATSMAN wrote:

But you yourself said, " I think it might be considered as a tax voyeurism ". I should correct a fact in my original statement -- since my friend no longer drinks alcohol, I actually bring my own beer to his house.

Even if I agreed that I was a paid preparer in this situation (which I don't), there is no place in the software he uses to enter a PTIN and sign as a paid preparer, and even if there was, I don't have his password and therefore cannot enter or change a single thing on his return.

We have little time before busy tax season for some fun!

If I was to give my friend some help, I expect him to buy the beer or at least offer to buy!

You are correct that the end usert type software like Turbo Tax or Tax Act has no place to put a PTIN. As a matter of fact I know a fellow who will do the entire tax return on TT or TaxAct, get paid and then they have the taxpayer mail it to IRS and State. He is very popular at the local watering hole and I lost a few clients to him :cry:

TY20XX  
If you considering going Pro Bono, maybe you can try Pay What You Want instead. You can hopefully cover your cost and possibly make a few extra bucks.

Previous

Return to Business Operations and Development