ATX vs Taxwise for Individual Tax Returns

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
ATX and Taxwise are through WoltersKluwer whic also provides ProSystemFX. For those who've used or even did a trial of both, how would you compare the two and which did you prefer?

ATSMAN  
I used ATX for a couple of years until 2012. They had a disaster as you may know. Then they offered Taxwise for the same price and I did not like it.

I hear ATX is back on its feet and if I had to choose between the two I would choose ATX.

I've used TaxWise for about 30 years and absolutely love it. It is very easy to use, and for about $2,500 per year I get unlimited everything. All states, all business modules, unlimited e-file...everything. I use this program for 95% of my individual clients. The typical household with wages, Schedule A, Schedule C, some investments, etc.

Keep in mind that because the system is more basic, YOU need to know what to look for, the program is not going to let you know about everything. For example, if you do a state return that you are not used to, TaxWise may not inform you that you should be looking for a particular credit or adjustment.

So, for my small business clients and more complex individual clients I use UltraTax PPR. It is well worth the extra cost to have the more robust program with carryovers, worksheets, and calculations.

TaxWise is great for basic tax returns and the cost can't be beat. But once the returns get more complicated you will need something else. Also, if you are presented with other state tax returns you will need to make sure that YOU address any possible credits or other adjustments because TaxWise is not that intuitive.

I've never used ATX.

ATSMAN  
https://taxna.wolterskluwer.com/profess ... ftware/atx

The ATX Max package that has business and unlimited e-file is less than $2500.

When I used ATX I do recall doing multiple states and it did the state adjustments based on an allocation worksheet.

I don't think any professional tax software is going to do a Q&A mode to figure out tax credits. I think Turbo Tax and Tax Act has that end user Q&A mode that asks you questions to figure out credit.

But the bottom line is if you were comfortable with Taxwise for the last 30 years, why are you looking to change so close to the start of tax season. I do all my software evaluations in the summer.

I'm not looking to change, just giving my input on TaxWise for the OP.

ATSMAN  
Nightsnorkeler wrote:I'm not looking to change, just giving my input on TaxWise for the OP.

Sorry, my mistake. I thought you were the OP :oops:

Return to Business Operations and Development