Tax Organizer Questionnaire - What's New for 2020?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Wiles  
For those of you that send out questionnaires to your 1040 clients each year, what *new* questions have you added for this year?

sjrcpa  
I haven't done anything yet, but will ask about PPP loan and EIP.

Have not prepared them yet but am hoping I can find template questionnaires. I liked UT''s but since I no longer use them, do not have access to what they may include as questions for 2020. I do not see where Lacerte has added anything specific to 2020 but I want to make sure I add questions about PPP, EIDL, EIDL advance, forgiveness status, stimulus money, etc. I am going to have to devote a couple of days to updating all of my engagement letters for taxes. Hate it!

belle  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:. I do not see where Lacerte has added anything specific to 2020

Lacerte added three abbreviated questions under a new header "CARES"...." asking about EIDL, PPP, Covid related retirement distributions. I plan on expanding on those.

In addition to what's already been mentioned, I think it's important to be cognizant of the remote work/work from home COVID dynamic shift. Many individuals have relocated while continuing to work for the same employer remotely, or have "temporarily" moved to a lesser populated area, with plans to return to their domicile/home/etc once things get back to normal.

For that reason, I'll be designing a simple question that will help determine if an individual client spent any material amount of time away from their state of residence during 2020.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:Have not prepared them yet but am hoping I can find template questionnaires.

If you're a member of the AICPA's tax section, their annual compliance kit includes organizer templates.

If you're not a member of the tax section, I highly recommend it. The included subscription to the Tax Adviser magazine alone is worth the additional fee.

Webster  
A small thing, but in addition to the above, asking for the amount of any charitable contributions even if the client is not planning on itemizing.

Wiles  
For that reason, I'll be designing a simple question that will help determine if an individual client spent any material amount of time away from their state of residence during 2020.

This is a good one. This is one of those questions that makes your head droop when they answer Yes.

ManVsTax - Can you provide a (copyright protected) summary of any questions that the AICPA have added to their list?

I'll circle back once I've had a chance to review them in detail. I gave the individual organizer templates a quick skim when they first came out, and the only question that stood out as new was an EIP question, which I'll be modifying as I noted here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19995

CathysTaxes  
The Tax Book usually publishes an organizer.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Wiles  
Thanks. I am happy with my existing questions. I am just looking for what's new. What we should consider adding to our existing questionnaire.

With regards to the residency issue we need to be aware that many states in the northeast have passed laws similar to Massachusetts TIR 20-5 where they say we do not care if you worked out of state (ie no tax New Hampshire) your wages are still taxable in Massachusetts.

CathysTaxes wrote:The Tax Book usually publishes an organizer.

I do not really see anything new or specific to 2020 in their organizers.

The target questions will be where they worked/lived, stimulus money, PPP/EIDL/EIDL Advance, if they utilized any provisions of the CARES Act, etc. I know I am looking for specific wording used by some of the producers of the organizers but AICPA, Tax Book, and others I have seen do not include anything. Lacerte did add a few but not satisfactory, IMO. I may end up having to devise questions based on topics in my head and discussions on this forum.

Three new questions: 1. EIP, 2. "Did you make at least $300 in charitable contributions by check or credit card? If not, how much?", 3. separating unemployment compensation into its own question.

belle  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:
.... Lacerte did add a few but not satisfactory, IMO. I may end up having to devise questions based on topics in my head and discussions on this forum.

I agree. I'll *share* what I come up with if you will too :lol:

HowardS  
New question:
Are you going to make some attempt to fill in this organizer or am I wasting my time sending it to you?
Retired, no salvage value.

ATSMAN  
I was almost 90% done editing my organizer but then we heard that the Covid relief package is almost ready to be voted tomorrow. I think I will hold up for another week to see if it has any new details :o :o :o

belle wrote:I agree. I'll *share* what I come up with if you will too :lol:

Deal.

This is what LaCerte added. Ugh...

CORONAVIRUS AID, RELIEF AND ECONOMIC SECURITY ACT (CARES ACT):

-Did you receive an economic impact payment? If so, how much?
-Did your business have any PPP loan amounts forgiven?
-Did you receive a distribution from your retirement plan because of COVID?

Wiles  
Wow! I am surprised Lacerte remembered they had an Organizer.

Wiles wrote:Wow! I am surprised Lacerte remembered they had an Organizer.

Given the typical client does not use them, they are nothing more than an aid for questions tax preparers need to ask. :roll:

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development