Practice Management Software

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
cdebts  
I hate to resurrect a dead thread, but rather than create another with a nearly identical topic of discussion, I'm posting here. Let me know if I should create a new one instead.

I am looking for Practice Management Software, but have been specifically looking for something that will integrate with QuickBooks Desktop. (Specifically QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions: Accountant)

We are a small bookkeeping, payroll and tax services firm (4 employees including myself and my wife) and we have been managing clients deadlines and statuses with excel spreadsheets. For example, one for reconciliations, another for payroll liabilities, another for franchise tax reports, etc. So that we can see where everyone is in one place... however, it's not one place, it's many places, and we have to be careful to keep data consistent. This is not good practice, and I'm looking for software that will do this is a more secure and automatic fashion. To me, this would meet our greatest current "practice management" needs.

Since I have been looking at software that integrates with QB Desktop, it seems like OfficeTools Workspace is the only option I have found that will integrate with our software. We also use Drake Tax, but that doesn't integrate with OfficeTools, so if there is sufficient reason to abandon the integration aspect for a better practice management software, I'm all ears!

Suggestions?

Wiles  
In my biased opinion, the initial pursuit of integration is done for the sake of efficiency & productivity. This soon turns into the pursuit of integration for the sake of integration.

I am seriously considering OfficeTools Workspace for the QBD and LaCerte integrations, along with Office 365/Exchange. Unfortunately, I have not had time to look into its cost and have a call with the company for a demo.

Many are on the market, and most, IMO, are seriously overpriced for what they do. I do know I am tired of tracking things in Excel spreadsheets and having to update client information in each software rather than having it automated via integrations.

cdebts  
Wiles, I agree with your sentiment, which is exactly why I came here looking for opinions on different practice management software offerings. I don't want to stick to an integrated or on-premise solution simply for the sake of integration if there is a better or more cost-effective solution available.

CornerstoneCPA, I am in the same boat with you. However, I believe the demo of OfficeTools is only for the cloud based solution, which does not integrate with QBD, just QBO. They do not seem to have a demo of their on-premise software so I can try it out. We have Office 365/Exchange and QB Enterprise Desktop (Accountant).

It took me nearly a year to decide on a solution to move our on-premise servers to a cloud solution, and I found one that allowed me to maintain complete control of the back-end and not be stuck in someone's proprietary solution, which also saves us considerable cost considering the astronomical prices of many cloud solutions. Fortunately, I have a 20+ year IT background, which gives me a considerable advantage in managing our technology. I just don't want to have to maintain and replace servers anymore.

Sorry for the derail but I have a practice grossing half a mil and I have little idea following what you are all even talking about.

We each keep a spreadsheet of client status' and we have admin personnel downloading and sorting uploads for us. Bill.com for billing (recently). QBD for our few clients that want some books. Google calendar for scheduling.

Am I missing something important? What does this do that I'm not doing (or wasting too much time doing)?

Thanks.

Gr8ful  
ItDepends...Congrats on building a strong business. I believe where this thread has turned is that others are integrating the work flow you have on your spreadsheets. This way al of the work for you office is in one spot, cloud based and not on a desktop application. It doesn't mean it is better, just another option.

I can say I almost pulled trigger on taxaroo or taxdome which seem like good products but stuck with excel with macros for now.

ItDepends wrote:Sorry for the derail but I have a practice grossing half a mil and I have little idea following what you are all even talking about.

For me, it is having tasks and the ability to make changes and even add/update calendar events in a single place. I can pull in relevant e-mails. I can view status of tax returns at a glance and practice management can help update contact details across Outlook, LaCerte, Quickbooks, etc.

Currently, I use Outlook Tasks for non-tax items. I have a spreadsheet that tracks client tax return status. I invoice out of Quickbooks Desktop. If a client has a phone number or address change, I have to update it across Outlook, Quickbooks, and LaCerte. Too much room for error, overlooking something, etc.

cdebts wrote:CornerstoneCPA, I am in the same boat with you. However, I believe the demo of OfficeTools is only for the cloud based solution, which does not integrate with QBD, just QBO. They do not seem to have a demo of their on-premise software so I can try it out. We have Office 365/Exchange and QB Enterprise Desktop (Accountant).

They sent me some links, but they do have personalized demos. Here is a link to Workspace demo, but skip to about the 7 minute mark because that is when it actually begins: https://abacusnext.wistia.com/medias/vkdji5zoid

Other links:

Portal - https://abacusnext.wistia.com/medias/j0ujhquxqh
Activity list - https://abacusnext.wistia.com/medias/y5zks3xy3s
Integrations - https://abacusnext.wistia.com/medias/mcxdm9qg7r

I just started using Financial Cents. It is very similar to Jetpack, which I just closed. It is worth a look if you want to try out something along the same style.

Wiles  
ItDepends, What do you use for time tracking?

Do you mean to charge the client? We charge a flat rate by the form, by the amount of employees, by how much support the client needs with biz deductions (different flat amounts) , by the transaction for books, and we only charge by the hour if the client needs extra time and we pick a reasonable amount.

I'll also quote by feel and adjust either way if im wrong.

There are pros and cons of this method of course and they have been discussed elsewhere many times.

We only have one key preparer/bookkeeper and we provide an hourly on the clock amount plus a flat commission. If our admin is key in completing work, I just give them a bonus for it.

What would be the very most popular management software so I can YouTube it and check it out?

Again, sorry if derailing.

PS. For our spreadsheets, etc, we have them in the cloud so anyone can update/view.

I would have concerns with maintaining just a spreadsheet for something so key as project management and deadlines. Especially, when there are tools out there that do a better job with MUCH better controls to minimize errors.
~Captcook

KRHCO  
I have a couple broker dealers as clients. They all us a program called Brokers Ally.

I tried it and I like it. I use the Standard version. I found the cost to be very reasonable.

See https://www.allycrm.com/ally-crm-products/brokers-ally/

For project/task tracking I use Airtable. You create your own database with the exact data points you want to track.

I'm seriously contemplating implementing OfficeTools Workspace. I like the cost and features, but I also do not want to implement it during middle of busiest period, plus I need to clean up my contacts. At $600 setup/training cost plus $59/mo/user cost, it is hard to beat the functionality from what I have seen so far...

What do you like about it? The website is a little vague on features.

ManVsTax wrote:What do you like about it? The website is a little vague on features.

The fact that their Workspace version integrates with my e-mail, Lacerte, and QBD. It would eliminate me having to update contact info in all three systems, I can easily view status of various things for each client, or what needs to be done and due dates, I can save documents within OfficeTools for each client if I do not want to maintain them elsewhere.

Biggest thing I need is ensuring contact details are updated easily across my software and then managing tasks and due dates, eliminating spreadsheets. If I update a contact in Outlook, it updates QBD and Lacerte, or if an update occurs in QBD, it pushes it out to Lacerte and my e-mail contacts. There are other benefits but that is primarily what I am seeking, and OfficeTools Workspace is one of the only practice management systems that integrates with QBD--most require QBO. It is also fairly priced, IMO.

Included, also, is a portal, esignatures, etc. You can set it up to accept client payments (cannot recall processor, but I am not interested in this function right now). While I would not implement those at this time, I like that I have such options and it all resides within OfficeTools.

Finally, there is a mobile app. While the functionality is pretty limited, I can see and create tasks and that is my primary goal for a mobile app connected to practice management software.

Thanks. I can see the value in that. Unfortunately it looks like it doesn't integrate with my current software choices.

The firm I used to work for implemented Office Tools. A cursory look at the website seems like the software still looks roughly the same. I'm sure a competently-run firm could have implemented it better, but suffice it to say there are a lot of reasons that I am no longer there.

I have a few pieces of advice which would probably be applicable no matter what package you use, but seems important with OT.
1 - Integrations between software packages are never as good as claimed.
2 - Your workflow needs to change to match how OfficeTools thinks; attempting to try to make OT think like your current workflow will not succeed.
3 - Think very carefully about implementing server database software programs in 2021. There are a lot of reasons that software is moving to the cloud, and you will be setting up a system that explicitly goes against that trend and it's a decision you will live with for a long time (or face a transition).
4 - Make sure that your computer consultant is on board with this because OT is very resource-intensive and you may need additional network resources. I always felt that OT was bloated and I can't imagine that seven years of additional features being added would help that aspect.
5 - For implementation you will need a project manager, whether that is you or someone else in your firm, and you will want to offload tasks to others in your firm so that implementation can get the attention it needs. (This is good advice for any software implementation) Post implementation, you will need a person who, as a part of their job, is actively managing this. Even during tax season. Especially during tax season. A year after I left, my former firm hired a person who spent half their time (for a firm of 10) in this role, and it was probably the first smart thing they did in their implementation.
6 - You need to get your entire team on board with a practice management solution. This demands trust and open communication about what the benefits and drawbacks will be. If you don't have this bit, you will fail.

BFStax  
TacticalCPA wrote:I just started using Financial Cents. It is very similar to Jetpack, which I just closed. It is worth a look if you want to try out something along the same style.

Reviving an old thread, but I came across this software today and was going to give it a look over the summer. Any updates on how it worked for your firm or from anyone else that's using it?

Previous

Return to Business Operations and Development