Retirement Plans & Engagement Letters

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I am mulling adding a hold harmless clause to either my engagement letters or terms and conditions addendum that absolves me of any liability from damages that a client suffers as a result of engaging in a prohibited transaction stemming from use of retirement plan funds, unless consulting on whether that particular transaction is a prohibited transaction is listed in the engagement objectives and scope section.

I am mulling this because buying rental real estate via self-directed plans seems to have gotten a lot more popular over the past few years. People see a few hundred grand or a few million in a retirement account and they want to buy property with it. Ignoring whether that's even a smart move or tax efficient (I think no and no), when they end up doing that, they're walking a tight-rope in my opinion, and they don't always tell me all of the details. I therefore view this clause as a C.Y.A. and necessary based on my client base.

Do any of you have similar in your agreements or have you considered the same?

Frankly  
Why do you think YOU would be liable for a client getting involved in a prohibited transaction? Particularly when you don't advise doing so, and client doesn't consult you first, and doesn't provide the details once it's done. That a client might want to find someone to blame for his own foolishness doesn't create any liability on anyone else.

Return to Business Operations and Development