Season Starting Slow

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
mdavis  
Has anyone else noticed the season is starting slow? We are down about 25% from where we was last year, I'm hoping it's just because allot of people seem to think they can't even file until feb 12th even though we tried to let them know you could file now and we'll send it then.

I’d say frighteningly busy because I haven’t seen many returns come in, and January was about the busiest I’ve ever seen

I feel like the first couple weeks of February are always a little slower than the rest of tax season. January was insane with payroll, 1099 forms, bookkeeping, and PPP loans.

CathysTaxes  
I still don't have all of my 1099s. The bank says everything was mailed on 1/31 yet they aren't available online.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

ATSMAN  
I have had clients complain that they still have not received their tax related documents from Banks. Some have been able to print a copy from their online accounts. Older folks don't want to get it online and wait for a paper copy. I know we had a huge mail backup early January catching up on the Christmas volume.

Yup.

My parents still have not received a couple 1099s from banks/credit unions.

Usually these particular ones are delivered mid-January.

USPS still backed up.

Yes, the season started slow for me as well (even the corporates that usually come in January are unfortunately coming in slower) but I'm starting to see a pick up in interest. I assume I'll have a lot of phone calls starting Monday. 1099s have been coming out later, although I don't think it's so much the post office being slow as the income payors being slow in sending them out.

Anecdotally, W-2s seem to be going out slower than normal as well, given the changes in reporting. I'm glad I don't work for ADP, that's for sure.

smtcpa  
Yes for 1040 work, no for corporate and partnership returns. I have an early-bird program for business returns offering a small discount if they bring in work in the first few weeks of January. I got so overwhelmed I had to close it down early. But the 1040 work is just trickling in so far.

Return to Business Operations and Development