Drake receives substantial investment from Private Equity

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
irc162  
Account Deactivated
Drake Tax Software received a significant Private Equity investment from Cinven.

https://www.cpapracticeadvisor.com/tax- ... e-software

I've been through this before with two other tax software companies. Neither event turned out to be good for users of the software. I wonder how this will play out?

Doesn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy feeling...but we'll see.

ATSMAN  
When a venture capitalist invests in a family owned business their goal is to increase the company value, sell it and make a profit and get away. They are not there to hang around for long!

Twin Turbo Z  
Account Deactivated
Yea we went through several buy outs/mergers too. CPAID was our first software (dinosaur times), then they got bought by "Best" software. Then Proseries (Intuit) sucked them up.

irc162  
Account Deactivated
Software providers I have known...

Accutax. Compucraft and Lacerte. Only Lacerte survived the buyout....although after Intuit bought them, they were never the same.

I don't see Intuit wanting to buy Drake, but you never know. I wonder if H and R block wants to venture into professional tax software?

ATSMAN  
irc162 wrote:Software providers I have known...

Accutax. Compucraft and Lacerte. Only Lacerte survived the buyout....although after Intuit bought them, they were never the same.

I don't see Intuit wanting to buy Drake, but you never know. I wonder if H and R block wants to venture into professional tax software?

Well they acquired RedGear Taxworks and then killed it! Maybe it rises from the ashes!

Pencil Pushers -> Tax Relief -> UltraTax

Tax Relief was a great forms based software but they got acquired by UT.
Pencil Pushers was a little before my time, but was still installed for 1998 and older returns.

I would assume Drake will be merged into another software provider soon, for the market share alone.

ATSMAN  
At the end of the deal Drake tax software will not even look and feel like the existing version. It will be a new ballgame :twisted:

novacpa  
Drake could double their prices, where you gonna go?

ATSMAN  
novacpa wrote:Drake could double their prices, where you gonna go?

Back in the market checking out other tax prep software available at that time. I have used ATX before so that is on top of the heap!

If you use Drake software, you probably would be more than willing to pay for it even at double the price. The pain of learning a different tax software plus the errors and missed items you will have in a conversion is crazy.

ATSMAN wrote:When a venture capitalist invests in a family owned business their goal is to increase the company value, sell it and make a profit and get away. They are not there to hang around for long!

For sure. On average private equity own companies for 5 years. They bought based on a multiple of EBITDA and will be planning to sell it on a multiple of EBITDA. So they'll do whatever increases EBITDA. They will almost certainly reduce headcount so I imagine customer service will decline, and maybe even move offshore. Employees are expenses and not assets in the EBITDA model. They might focus on creating or overhauling the add-ons and almost certainly will be increasing the base price. I'd expect them to overhaul the software so it looks less like it's in Windows 3.1, and maybe even get rid of the desktop option.

If I was looking for new software right now, I would be looking elsewhere just because of the entry of new private equity.

ATSMAN  
For sure. On average private equity own companies for 5 years. They bought based on a multiple of EBITDA and will be planning to sell it on a multiple of EBITDA. So they'll do whatever increases EBITDA. They will almost certainly reduce headcount so I imagine customer service will decline, and maybe even move offshore. Employees are expenses and not assets in the EBITDA model. They might focus on creating or overhauling the add-ons and almost certainly will be increasing the base price.

That is the SOP of private equity investment outfits. HR is generally the biggest expense they need to trim and they can get programmers and coders for pennies on the dollar in India. The worst part is some of them folks in USA will be teaching Indians to take over their jobs! I have seen this happen many times. Once the fat is trimmed and the company value has increased it will be time to call in the bids :twisted:

jon  
Privately owned equity companies probably own for an average of five years - Did Drake give up their current ownership or did they get a loan that will convert to ownership if goals of Drake are not and it is repaid in a certain time period. either their product gets better and more expensive - is that a downside???

ATSMAN  
Generally the venture capitalist provide the funding in exchange for equity and a controlling position in the company's board of directors so that they can make the strategic decisions. They let the local management group take care of day to day operations. Once the company is "fattened up" it goes to the auction market. The original owners probably received a significant down payment and the rest structured is some fashion. The article did not give any specific details except that the deal is being reviewed by the regulators. This happens routinely in the tech world.

jon wrote:Privately owned equity companies probably own for an average of five years - Did Drake give up their current ownership or did they get a loan that will convert to ownership if goals of Drake are not and it is repaid in a certain time period. either their product gets better and more expensive - is that a downside???

To expand on ATSMAN's excellent post: Private equity doesn't usually do loans because loans don't provide enough return. If they're going to take on the risk of putting money into a company, they typically want a significant ownership stake and significant levels of control with the goal of making a huge profit at the end.

This is just speculation, but I would guess that the family wanted or needed to get out of the business and given Drake's size it would be difficult to find any type of buyer other than private equity or one of its competitors. It's the plight of the mid-sized business world.

jon  
So "missing" your saying the private equity already has ownership in DRAKE??? How much?

jon wrote:So "missing" your saying the private equity already has ownership in DRAKE??? How much?

The press release says that they have agreed to make a significant investment and that there are regulatory hurdles to overcome. So, I doubt that an investment has been made yet but that there have been contracts signed. The amount was not disclosed.

jon  
Thanks

novacpa  
Perhaps the Private Equity folks are thinking, "how can I turn Drake into an Intuit- then IPO it".

migbike  
Price increases incoming.. probably.

Next

Return to Business Operations and Development