Economic Recovery Payment & LaCerte

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
FYI, if you are like me and begin preparing client tax returns using all 9s for the tax ID(s) in LaCerte, the economic recovery payment credit will not calculate properly until you enter valid SSNs (and if on PPR, pay for the licenses). Drove me nuts trying to figure out why it was not calculating until I looked at the credit worksheet and saw it was throwing an error for a valid SSN.

Cornerstone, I use Lacerte. Just curious, why do you prepare client returns using all 9's for the tax id?

I use lacerte as well. If you have forms that you pay per return, like I do for C corps, you can enter all 9s as the tax id and it will allow you to see the forms without paying for it at that moment. Same with states that you buy on an as needed basis

Seaside CPA wrote:Cornerstone, I use Lacerte. Just curious, why do you prepare client returns using all 9's for the tax id?

Because I can view the forms and calculations without having it be a paid license. Helps with tax planning or when I do not want to use a license but want to see forms/calculations, such as if I am debating which states actually require filing--I can add and remove them without using licenses.

This is the first calculation in Lacerte I have come across that fails to populate when using all 9s as the tax ID. As soon as I entered the actual SSN and acquired the license, it calculated exactly as I had expected.

I only use Lacerte for individual returns, and will occasionally input something into a dummy client using all 9's, but it is very rare for me. Hardly ever do it during tax season, since I am preparing their returns anyway. Didn't know if I was missing something or not!

Return to Business Operations and Development