Accounting Software for Bookkeeping/Payroll

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
What are y’all using for bookkeeping and payroll? Currently using accounting CS with access to qb for a few clients that do their own and just ask us to correct at the end of the month/quarter. Wondering if there is anything better out there, especially at the price point?

I use Moneyworks for bookkeeping. It is the closest thing you will find to manual accounting whilst harnessing the power of computers. I use Payroll Mate for payroll. mind you, I only have four payroll clients and only one of those has an employee other than the owner. If I had more payroll clients, I would use something else, but for what I have, it works

Moneyworks does not offer a payroll module.

We do a good number of payrolls and most clients have employees, so I would definitely need something more robust

I just use QBO or QBD. If it is tax accounting or payroll related and client does not need access, I do it all through QBD since it is far superior to QBO, and I have 50 payroll licenses for QBD as a ProAdvisor. If I did not already have payroll through QBD, I would probably use ADP's payroll system for accountants.

TaxDude  
We use QBD for bookkeeping and QBO for the few clients that want 24/7 access to their file. We used to use Accounting CS when it was their old software. We switched to QBD when they changed to their new system several years back.

For payroll we use Pensoft. It's simple to use and gets the job done at a reasonable price. We have about 100 payroll clients and it works out pretty well for us.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:I just use QBO or QBD. If it is tax accounting or payroll related and client does not need access, I do it all through QBD since it is far superior to QBO, and I have 50 payroll licenses for QBD as a ProAdvisor. If I did not already have payroll through QBD, I would probably use ADP's payroll system for accountants.

How does the pro advisor program work and is it something you think is worth doing?

TaxDude wrote:We use QBD for bookkeeping and QBO for the few clients that want 24/7 access to their file. We used to use Accounting CS when it was their old software. We switched to QBD when they changed to their new system several years back.

For payroll we use Pensoft. It's simple to use and gets the job done at a reasonable price. We have about 100 payroll clients and it works out pretty well for us.

That’s a lot of payroll clients. How are you getting that information into QB for the ones you also do bookkeeping for?

TaxMan2020 wrote:
How does the pro advisor program work and is it something you think is worth doing?

It is worth the cost to me...I do not care about marketing myself as a ProAdvisor, let the low end bookkeepers do that. I like the payroll subscription and getting a license to all QBD products every year, including QBO (though mine is screwed up from something Intuit has chosen to not fix).

My employees only work with clients in QBO, so the limited licensing with ProAdvisor is not an issue since I am the only one using it.

TaxDude  
TaxMan2020 wrote:That’s a lot of payroll clients. How are you getting that information into QB for the ones you also do bookkeeping for?

The payroll software can generate a General Ledger report, set up like a journal. We manually input this journal into QB for each pay date processed.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:
TaxMan2020 wrote:

It is worth the cost to me...I do not care about marketing myself as a ProAdvisor, let the low end bookkeepers do that. I like the payroll subscription and getting a license to all QBD products every year, including QBO (though mine is screwed up from something Intuit has chosen to not fix).

My employees only work with clients in QBO, so the limited licensing with ProAdvisor is not an issue since I am the only one using it.

How much does it cost and how many payroll clients can you work with? I’m not a big fan of ACS especially at the price

TaxDude wrote:
TaxMan2020 wrote:That’s a lot of payroll clients. How are you getting that information into QB for the ones you also do bookkeeping for?

The payroll software can generate a General Ledger report, set up like a journal. We manually input this journal into QB for each pay date processed.

Can the payroll software can complete W2s and efile them?

I believe I am paying $80/mo and I have 50 payroll licenses that can be connected to any version of QBD that is licensed to my firm, as long as the version of QBD is not older than 3 years (payroll support in QBD ceases on a rolling three year basis).

80/mo includes the QBD and QBO as well as the payroll?

TaxDude  
TaxMan2020 wrote:Can the payroll software can complete W2s and efile them?

Yes. It prepares all quarterly reports, Federal and State, as well as all year-end reports. And it can e-file all of them, including the W-2 forms. It can also process direct deposit for the employees.

It also has the ability to make payments to 1099 contractors and prepare the 1099 forms at year-end within the same module.

TaxMan2020 wrote:80/mo includes the QBD and QBO as well as the payroll?

It includes 1 user license of all versions of QBD each year (including POS), and then also allows your firm access to QBO for your own accounting which is now being upgraded to the highest offering of QBO (I'd utilize it if Intuit could resolve their damn issue associated with reimporting data containing payroll). The 50 payroll licenses apply to clients that can use QBD for payroll, NOT QBO (separate subscription, and payroll in QBO SUCKS!!!!). QBD is so infinitely superior for payroll than QBO that I gladly utilize it and make GJEs as necessary to keep clients' actual accounting current.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:
TaxMan2020 wrote:80/mo includes the QBD and QBO as well as the payroll?

It includes 1 user license of all versions of QBD each year (including POS), and then also allows your firm access to QBO for your own accounting which is now being upgraded to the highest offering of QBO (I'd utilize it if Intuit could resolve their damn issue associated with reimporting data containing payroll). The 50 payroll licenses apply to clients that can use QBD for payroll, NOT QBO (separate subscription, and payroll in QBO SUCKS!!!!). QBD is so infinitely superior for payroll than QBO that I gladly utilize it and make GJEs as necessary to keep clients' actual accounting current.

So do you buy additional uses of QBD and QBO to do your clients accounting, or are you the only one who does any bookkeeping and only need the one? I’m just trying to get a picture of what your firm looks like for accounting and payroll as a whole. I would have one person who only needs access to payroll, and two total that needs to do bookkeeping and payroll

My employees only work on clients that utilize QBO. Typically, the clients I still do payroll for (only a handful, granted) are the "high value" clients where I do ALL of the work, or it is tax accounting, only, which staff is not involved in and so the single user license is fine (or, rather, no simultaneous user access). I have acquired additional QBD licenses as necessary, but it is rarely needed for my firm.

Return to Business Operations and Development