Staff morale during season

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Pros, I hope everyone is doing well. I imagine most of you working virtually. I'm curious for you who have employees, what are you planning to do to keep morale up during tax season? For example are getting food delivered to their homes? Or are you doing any of virtual games? Thank you.

It's really hard to give a general answer because different people like different things. Some people enjoy the Zoom get-togethers and virtual happy hours, while others would just prefer to turn their computers off instead of spending more time with the firm. Some people would appreciate delivered food, some might not (such as if they were keeping tight bubbles due to their own or their family's health situations). Some people might like a plant for their home office, some might not. It's more about making sure you are meeting your individual employees' needs so that they can meet your needs.

The only thing that I would blanket recommendation is to prevent burnout if possible. This is both harder to do and a higher risk than in the past. Last tax season basically never ended and a lot of people didn't get to take their normal vacations and time off, plus not everyone has a separate home office that they can get away from. If you have staff work on weekends, make sure they have one full day off each week and try to schedule a full weekend or two off for each person. Remember that employees are generally fearful to admit that they are burning out, so you have to be very careful.

ATSMAN  
I would add that if you have single parents on staff that have small children/need day care be mindful of the hours you ask them to be on the call or work with clients remotely. It is very distracting when you schedule a zoom call with a client and either the child is heard/seen in the background or the employee has to constantly reschedule due to scheduling conflicts at home front. Remember many school age children are an home doing remote schooling that requires the help from an adult.

These are very difficult times when you have to manage the home front at the same time remotely work!

Each situation is different so have a very frank and candid talk with your remote employees and see what their situation is before assigning cases etc.

sjrcpa  
Most clients are understanding if a kid/pet/spouse enters the room during a video meeting; we have found. But still good advice about scheduling.

ATSMAN  
sjrcpa wrote:Most clients are understanding if a kid/pet/spouse enters the room during a video meeting; we have found. But still good advice about scheduling.

Yes some may not mind, but it does present an unprofessional image if it happens one too many times. That is all I am saying is to watch out for these issues when you are running a business.

I was on a Webex call with a client and she had to excuse herself to change the baby. That is understandable at her end, being a single mother working from home and baby sitting at the same time.

Return to Business Operations and Development