Client codependency issues - what to do?

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Andrew  
JAD wrote:Wiles - I know what you are saying, treasures in heaven. You and she have been together for a long time. There is a middle ground. It's not right to just cut her loose. Perhaps send her an email saying that you want to schedule a phone call to discuss how this relationship should proceed - to give her the heads up. Then calmly and gently explain that you respect the history of the relationship, but that her manner is difficult for the office. Explain that you no longer prepare returns, and if she wants to continue in this relationship, she will have to work kindly with one of your staff. Blah Blah Blah. Give her the chance to make the change or to make the decision to leave. All you have to do is be nice while maintaining your boundary that this cannot and will not go on as it has.

I think this is an excellent solution for dealing with pita clients. You set the boundaries under which the relationship can continue and then let the client make the decision if they want to continue the relationship.
Not too long ago, I had a pita client. If I didn't drop everything for Mrs. Important, she wouldn't get a loan (got an email about the PPP the day before the deadline), couldn't buy a car (she would call me from the dealer, had the pen in her hand to sign the purchase or lease agreement, and needed to know right then and there if it was better to buy or lease). I felt pressured and obligated into helping her getting the PPP loan. I knew I had been used by Mrs. Important in her unstoppable drive to become a million dollar business. The signs of failed relationships were all over here books: new vendors in about every category every year. I could have said "no" to helping her with the PPP loan and I take full responsibility for saying "yes". At the time, I felt it would be equally stressful dealing with a furious Mrs. Important not getting the loan or do the work getting her the loan. Neither choice was a good one for me. I did send her an email after this saying that in the future I wouldn't be saying yes to these last minute emergencies any longer. When the next one came up, we parted ways.

Previous

Return to Business Operations and Development