QB Subscriptions

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Every year I need to purchase the current version of QB at some point because somebody has upgraded their software. Cost is usually a couple hundred dollars. Now I am in the same situation, and went to purchase version 2021 and find that it is now being sold as a subscription program. Evidently it can be purchased online without the subscription feature, but I tried that last year and it was a nightmare that I ended up returning for credit. I have a separate payroll subscription that comes due every year in July and I pay about $800 annually for that. I'm really annoyed that Intuit is taking this route and making us purchase subscriptions, feels like it's their way of getting back at the public or not using the online or Enterprise version.

That's my rant. Has anyone had experience with the subscription feature? What does it cost, beyond the initial cost of the software? Can I still access other ciient files? Can I still do payroll for several clients? Basically, I guess my question is, Can I still do my job? After all, as Intuit is constantly reminding us, nobody needs an accountant if they use QB.

If you dig around you will find the software license that you buy and keep forever.
The software as a service (subscription) model is a waste of money in my opinion.

You might want to look into the ProAdvisor Program that includes the yearly software every year as part of the package, but likely just cheaper to buy the new version every year.
It's a huge pain, but just a cost of business unfortunately.

That's what I've done every year, just purchase the newer version because the Pro Advisor program was expensive and I never saw a benefit to having it., Nowe Intuit has added a new feature that is a subscription fee. You get a year "free" when you buy the program, not sure yet what the annual fee is going to be.

I cannot recall, are you sole practitioner? Need concurrent access to a data file?

This is why I remain a ProAdvisor even though I find the program itself laughable. It gives me the annual license of each version and 50 payroll licenses for use with QBD. Honestly, I collect so much charging clients for connecting my payroll license to a QBD payroll file I maintain that the monthly fee for ProAdvisor is paid for a couple times over each year. Only issue is when concurrent access is needed, but almost all of those clients use QBO.

How much do you charge, Cornerstone, for connecting someone to your payroll license? I've been doing payroll for so long and when I first started the cost of the payroll subscription that allowed me up to 50 clients, was not a seriously high charge and I had a goodly number of payroll clients. So I never passed the charge on. Now, however, the annual cost has increased subtantially and every year I give thought to charging my remaining payroll clients.

Currently $150/year per client just to connect my payroll subscription to one of my QBD data files. I increase it each year and so 2022 will be in the $175-180 range. On top of that are minimum fees for quarterly reports and a per paycheck fee.

Return to Business Operations and Development