IRS ID Verification letters

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
I've had about 5-6 clients (out of 500+) get requests from the IRS for ID verifications to finish processing their E-filed returns this year. Anyone else notice an increase in these?

I've had a few more than usual ask for help with these letters. Mostly because they've been unable toget a hold of anyone at the IRS to verify. Not sure it's an increase in these notices or if it just means clients aren't able to handle the requests themselves due to lack of IRS phone support.

Sounds right. Wasn't sure if they were just trying to delay refunds en masse. Had an S-Corp we e-filed (accepted by IRS) get a reject letter saying the return wasn't signed....

I have two clients who notified me of receiving an ID Verification request this year. That is 100% more than lhe previous year as there was only one client informed me of such a request last year based on my memory.

Return to Taxation