Quickbooks Desktop going fully subscription based

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
I don't want to pay $800/year to restore qbb files for my 5 clients that still use QBD. Is there any way around this? (other than having them give me remote desktop access)

Wiles  
Ask the largest client or the one that renews every year to purchase an additional license for you to use

basisschedule wrote:Is there any way around this?

Either charge the five of them more or get new clients. If your clients can't pay for their chosen level of service then you have the wrong clients.

basisschedule wrote:I don't want to pay $800/year to restore qbb files for my 5 clients that still use QBD. Is there any way around this? (other than having them give me remote desktop access)

Remote access or sign up as a ProAdvisor, if not already. The one license is still offered for most Intuit Quickbooks Desktop products (including POS, based on last e-mail I received) for 2022.

Now, if you need concurrent access for staff, then yes, the price will increase.

Wiles  
In the last week, 3 clients have e-mailed me asking what they can do to avoid going to QB new subscription model.

I wonder if they can upgrade to version 2021 and delay the inevitable for at least 2 more years.

We have the QB ProAdvisor. Is there something we can do for them using the ProAdvisor? Can we find them 2021? Or at least get them a discounted subscription?

Two of them only need the current QB version to continue running payroll. I guess one option is to stop using QB for payroll - use a payroll service.

Nope, it's all subscription at this point.

You as a ProAdvisor can offer payroll via your account and QBD licenses that allow 50 EINs connected to your payroll account. Otherwise, yes, utilize another payroll processor. Gusto is pretty common but I have not had any direct experience with it to date except for a few reports one client provides to me.

Just confirming what things look like now that I can and have downloaded 2023 (but have not converted any clients to it yet).

I can still download and install previous years, in fact all the way back to 2009. I still plan to renew every year because I am already on the subscription model with accountant's bundle.

The question is if I move a client to 2023 can I keep them on 2023 for 3 years? That is our typical strategy as everyone is currently on 2020. It's not a software cost for me to convert, but time cost (which is even bigger). We don't want to convert 100+ clients to 2023 only to have to convert them again to 2024. I would rather wait for 2026.

We have about 75 that are active payroll and about 60 that are bookkeeping only.

I've noticed some loss of functionality up to QBD 2020, specifically those that require internet connectivity. Those are always what shut off once a particular year is no longer supported by Intuit. Anyone I had on 2020 or earlier is being upgraded to 2021 or 2022.

You can still access software and do accounting, just don't expect to be able to do anything that requires internet connectivity (payroll, bank feeds, etc.).

Previous

Return to Business Operations and Development