E-signature and Portal

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
We are looking for a new portal that incorporates e-signature, invoice payment, and also automates the processing of the return electronically.

We use Ultra Tax and File Cabinet currently. We have about 15 users during tax season.

We looked at Safe Send for the delivery of the returns and e-signature. We like how it automates the processing of the tax returns. It separates the payment vouchers, client copy, and also gives the client the option to make a payment online. They can also sign it with an e-signature. However, it doesn't appear to have a client portal or an invoice payment option.

We looked at Tax Dome. It looks like it does a lot, but it doesn't appear to automate the processing of the returns like safe send. We are trying to cut our admin time down.

We also looked at Tax Caddy. However, we don't think we would use the rest of the Sure Prep products so that doesn't seem like the best option. There also isn't a true client portal offered by Sure Prep.

Any other ideas?

How has your client base adopted portals?
My experience is that while some folks use them well, a significant portion do not and staff end up being "portal tech support". I'm demo'ing safe send later today. I prefer that it doesn't have a portal. We used it at my old firm and it was fantastic. Year 1 we tested it with about 10% of our clients and year 2 we were at 80% with high levels of satisfaction from clients.

I expect to integrate a payment option on my website. So, having it integrated with the delivery method isn't terribly consequential.
~Captcook

LDCPA  
CaptCook wrote:How has your client base adopted portals?
My experience is that while some folks use them well, a significant portion do not and staff end up being "portal tech support". I'm demo'ing safe send later today. I prefer that it doesn't have a portal. We used it at my old firm and it was fantastic. Year 1 we tested it with about 10% of our clients and year 2 we were at 80% with high levels of satisfaction from clients.

I expect to integrate a payment option on my website. So, having it integrated with the delivery method isn't terribly consequential.

How did your demo go?
I like how their tax delivery looks and will be demoing myself next week.

I was really impressed. The organizer/submission function was as impressive as the delivery side of things.
I'm 99% certain I'll use SafeSend. It streamlines too many steps not to use it.
~Captcook

Look at Firm360, it was built by a CPA tired of how bad the TR suite of products are supported but knowing most people will stick with Ultratax. It replaces Practice, FileCabinet, and adds a portal that also syncs with your email to pull all correspondence to that client's drawer without having to print it there manually. I'm personally converting our firm to that system soon, hopefully.

Thx
I'll check it out
~Captcook

smtcpa  
We also use UT but not safe safe and I am looking at TaxDome. I am curious, what does SafeSend do that "automates the process" that TaxDome does not?

Taxman40 wrote:
We looked at Tax Dome. It looks like it does a lot, but it doesn't appear to automate the processing of the returns like safe send. We are trying to cut our admin time down.

Our client base would work with a portal fairly well. I use Dropbox for most of my clients to transfer files. We just need something firm wide. Dropbox just isn't geared towards CPA firms.

Safe send automates the delivery very well. You upload a pdf of the tax return and it separates the payment vouchers, e file forms, etc for the client. They can then digitally sign and could make a payment via IRS direct pay. It also tracks the estimates paid for the client. It looks to be a huge time saver when compared to printing the returns to paper, preparing paper payment vouchers, etc.

Return to Business Operations and Development