1040 Efficiencies

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
smtcpa wrote:I want to look at Loom as well. But today I never have meetings with clients unless there is something we cannot do through email.

As mentioned above, this all depends on the kind of practice you want to have. I liken my desired approach to fit the "Customer Intimacy" model. I want my service to feel personal and specific to my client. There are obvious constraints to that, but that is the aspiration. To the extent I can automate processes and still approach that goal, I will. A well dialed in Loom presentation is miles ahead of what any email could provide in that respect.
I think too many people, in all industries, rely upon email much too heavily. It has its place, but is still very impersonal and can easily be heard in a voice well different than intended.

There's no right answer here. Just the answer that aligns with the strategy you set for yourself.
~Captcook

MWEA  
RazorbackCPA wrote:I would much prefer the "at the end of the process" appointment that ItDepends describes. It's very common for me from May through December to work this way. But by volume, that's the exception. Most of my tax season meetings are at the front end.

The main problem with changing that is the workload in April. I don't meet with any clients starting 04/01/XX. I get all of my meetings done by the end of March. I'm not sure how to switch that. Perhaps more gets done sooner, but I can't imagine my sanity the first week of April looking at a calendar full of meetings.

I’ve done it both ways, I’ll never go back to drop off meetings again. Another practitioner told me I was doing it wrong but I wasn’t sure how to change the process when clients were used to meeting up front. Covid changed that and now we don’t do any drop offs. I’ll probably review returns with less than 50%, most of our long-term clients know what we need or we can give them the list by email. As long as the result is normal, they don’t desire an explanation.

The efficiency gains will be so high that I think it more than outweighs your other concern.

MWEA  
MWEA wrote:
RazorbackCPA wrote:I would much prefer the "at the end of the process" appointment that ItDepends describes. It's very common for me from May through December to work this way. But by volume, that's the exception. Most of my tax season meetings are at the front end.

The main problem with changing that is the workload in April. I don't meet with any clients starting 04/01/XX. I get all of my meetings done by the end of March. I'm not sure how to switch that. Perhaps more gets done sooner, but I can't imagine my sanity the first week of April looking at a calendar full of meetings.

I’ve done it both ways, I’ll never go back to drop off meetings again. Another practitioner told me I was doing it wrong but I wasn’t sure how to change the process when clients were used to meeting up front. Covid changed that and now we don’t do any drop offs. I’ll probably review returns with less than 50%, most of our long-term clients know what we need or we can give them the list by email. As long as the result is normal, they don’t desire an explanation.

The efficiency gains will be so high that I think it more than outweighs your other concern.

In fact, we believe so highly in this that for clients that aren’t able to upload, we mail them a Priority Mail postage paid envelope to send us their documents.

I’m going to think hard about making this switch. I know the meeting has to be more productive and effective for the relationship.

JAD wrote: My goal is to make each person feel like he/she is my only client.

Maybe I'm misreading you, but I'm personally wary about this approach/mindset with my set of clients (NYC area types). The most difficult clients I deal with think they are "the only clients I have" and are very demanding and take things personal when you don't meet their preconceived timelines/expectations of a "personal accountant"

JAD  
My practice is so very small. My whole world runs on about 15 relationships, counting a family group, their trusts and small businesses as one. I am 59 years old, and I wrapped up a brutal 4 1/2 year project as trustee (I will never do that again) in 2020. Age combined with too much work during the Covid insanity was a game changer. So, taken all together, I have done some major revaluation and downsizing. I am not accepting any new clients who aren't willing to be extended. Last year, a client provided his partnership information on 9/13 and told me to "do the best that I can." I didn't even open the email attachments. I said I would do it when I returned from vacation, that I cannot turn a return around in 2 days. I've never done that before.

So...taken all together, my world is not what it was even 5 years ago, I do have boundaries, but I can be extra accommodating since I have such a small practice.

JAD wrote:I said I would do it when I returned from vacation, that I cannot turn a return around in 2 days. I've never done that before.

Good for you. I feel too many professionals don't maintain their boundaries like this. It enables clients instead of them feeling like you went WAY above and beyond for them.
~Captcook

JAD wrote:My practice is so very small. My whole world runs on about 15 relationships, counting a family group, their trusts and small businesses as one. I am 59 years old, and I wrapped up a brutal 4 1/2 year project as trustee (I will never do that again) in 2020. Age combined with too much work during the Covid insanity was a game changer. So, taken all together, I have done some major revaluation and downsizing. I am not accepting any new clients who aren't willing to be extended. Last year, a client provided his partnership information on 9/13 and told me to "do the best that I can." I didn't even open the email attachments. I said I would do it when I returned from vacation, that I cannot turn a return around in 2 days. I've never done that before.

So...taken all together, my world is not what it was even 5 years ago, I do have boundaries, but I can be extra accommodating since I have such a small practice.

No CPA/EA ever lied in the grave wishing they had one more client to finish. Good for you.

JAD  
Yes, thank you. I guess the other thing was I wasn't operating very well for a while during Covid. And then earlier this year I broke 3 ribs and collapsed a lung, which just reinforced that I need to leave some extra time for life's emergencies.

All of that sounds well and good now. 15 years ago I would have just rolled my eyes and carried on as fast as possible. Lots of bills to pay, kids to raise, etc. Sometimes we don't have much choice.

Previous

Return to Business Operations and Development