E-services/EFIN/ERO application for new CPA Firm (LLC)

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Good morning, everyone.

I'm looking for some guidance on the process of getting my new firm entity registered with e-services so I can process an EFIN application under the firm EIN. I've setup a new LLC for my Firm (single member LLC for now since I'm the only owner) and have a new EIN for this entity. I've called 3x to IRS E-services help desk and just get hung up on due to "high call volume."

When I go to do the EFIN application - the IRS website is making me login individually (i've verified with id.me to access my personal return data so I am using this login). However, I want to setup my EFIN under my new LLC (single member LLC formed for my new CPA practice. When I fill out the application - if I select dropdown for the entity the only applicable ones would be "sole propietor" or "Limited Liability Corporation" (corp is the wrong word, but its what they have on the menu).

I've tried both formats using my Firm LLC name and Firm EIN and it says they don't match tax records and it kicks me out for 24 hours for too many incorrect attempts.

Here are my questions and I'm hoping someone has done this recently:

1. Do I need to somehow register my Firm itself for id.me, rather than using my individual login, and then use that login to do the EFIN application? If so, how? or,

2. Do I just do the login using my Social and put my Firm name (XYZ CPA FIRM, LLC) as the DBA? I began an application that way and it did get me past the error screen and open an application up, but since it would be under my social and not my firm EIN, it doesn't seem correct. My gut here is saying the individual e-services login is trying to pair my SSN with the "ein" I enter and it's kicking it out as an error.

How in the world do I get a firm single member LLC registered for E-services so that Firm can then apply to be an ERO?

Thanks,

GulfcoastCPA

In the time of this post being approved and posted to now, I've got some more information in case it helps anyone else in the same predicament.

I finally got someone at the IRS on the phone and I am doing the EFIN application process correctly. The reason my application is getting kicked out with the error that "this application does not match our tax records" is because I filed for my new entity EIN last week. Per the phone call, the solution is "wait a few weeks before reapplying for the new EIN to make it's way through the IRS database so it will match."

I guess I just need to wait and try again in a week.

Thanks

I have an IRS account under my old company login credentials, which is now a QSUB of my current company but it contains all of my applications including current company. When I formed my current company, I was able to submit the EFIN application immediately since the EIN was issued immediately via the IRS website. Who knows what is going on right now, especially with id.me instead of the prior system that I still get to use. I would be inclined to give it maybe 10 business days before trying again. if it fails, call them up and ask "WTF?"

I just set up my new company last month and got my EFIN this morning.
I applied for my EIN online and it seemed to work rather quickly.
I'm pretty sure I also chose "Sole Proprietor" because that's what I chose for my SMLLC when completing my SS-4.
I was real anxious about getting this done in time. The website said 45 days. Mine was more like 20.
~Captcook

It's wild that their databases don't update in realtime especially if electronically submitted. MY SS-4 was done online as well on 11/22/22 and I saved the SS-4 PDF with my new SMLLC EIN. Single Member LLC. On the EFIN application, if I enter in the EIN and select sole proprietor it kicks out an error, if I enter in the EIN with "Limited Liability Corporation" it also kicks out an error. I guess I'll heed the advice of the e-services hotline and "wait a couple weeks for the EIN to make its way through the IRS system so it will match." I don't want to setup the EFIN in my social security number with a DBA of my LLC because that seems incorrect although that was letting me get through to the next step if I do it that way.

For anyone in the same shoes and wondering why they cant apply using thier EIN. Here's an update on what my expereince has been to close the loop on this post.

EIN was issued electronically for a single member LLC on 11/22. Up until today, 12/20 (nearly a full month) I was unable to submit my EFIN application using my EIN. I would get hung up on an "error" on the EFIN application because it was not matching the EIN database. IRS E services help desk told me to wait 10 business days for the EIN to become part of the IRS permanent record and then try the EFIN application. I did that and still no luck.

Finally, today it allowed me to process the EFIN application using my EIN number. I had to use the option of "Limited liability corporation" (corporation??) on the IRS dropdown box for my Single Member LLC.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for providing this update.
Currently debating the potential tax savings I might see by going S status... too late for 2023, but maybe for 2024.
Good reminder that I would need to start this process well in advance.

Return to Business Operations and Development