CPA becoming an EA

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
If it's from a decent college it can't hurt. In most cases, I think the education would be more valuable than the piece of paper.

Taxalmancer wrote:I am a CPA not an EA but am curious if someone would become an EA and practice as an EA to avoid personal liability. I don't know what the laws are in my state, nor any state for that matter, but personal liability may end at the entity level if the EA operates as LLC, Inc., Ltd., or Corp., whereas the CPA is personally liable for his/her own work regardless of entity type.

I'm unaware of any certification or entity structure that would shield a practitioner from personal liability from their owns torts or gross negligence.

sjrcpa  
philly wrote:Would an MS in Taxation be a good credential for a CPA?

Yes if you are a tax practitioner.

SumwunLost wrote:If it's from a decent college it can't hurt. In most cases, I think the education would be more valuable than the piece of paper.
I agree. Disclosure - I have an MST.

Just to reiterate- it’s not having clients in different states that causes problems. It is when you, the CPA, are physically practicing in different states. That is what causes problems. Even when I explained it, it seemed like people didn’t get it. I physically get on an airplane and fly to different states. That is what causes mobility problems. The states all basically say you can’t call yourself a CPA unless you register in that state. So to avoid hassle with local CPAs, which can be caused by having CPA be part of your firm name, it’s easier to use EA designation.

A better credential is to have an LLM in Taxation. A law degree + CPA license will take you as far as you want to go.

ManVsTax wrote:What is the advantage to a CPA obtaining EA certification, other than being able to add more letters behind their name?

I agree with this.... many EA's I know struggle to explain what it is etc. Early in my career I got an MS in tax to help differentiate me. Did it help? I think it did BUT maybe just psychologically.

My assistant wants to open her own practice and is taking the CPA exam after being an EA for almost 10 years.

She's tired of explaining what it is.

I fully respect EA's and wish somehow there was more awareness.

However, I think that "self confidence" is most important.

I know an EA that if I ever got in trouble, I'd have him represent me. Not a CPA.

I think he is that good.

Previous

Return to Business Operations and Development