Anyone receiving complaints about IRS refund turnaround?

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
I have many more than usual waiting over 6 weeks.

Erin_EA  
I haven't noticed any more complaints than in prior years. Makes me wonder if the clients who have been waiting awhile have anything in common - prior year was filed on paper - or they have an Identity Protection PIN maybe?

Individual clients I efiled during the last two weeks before the deadline had to wait longer than in previous years...they all eventually got their (federal) refund to my knowledge.

There seems to be a huge uptick in TPP identity verification letters. It seems that most of our clients who did not file a timely 2017 return have been getting identity verification letters. I've had at least 7 people who filed on 4/15 and did not file 2017 for whatever reason get these letters dated May 2, but the letters haven't even started arriving in people's mailboxes until this week.

A common thread appears to be QBI. One of the four cases received their refund last week but it was $400 more than I calculated. No explanation from IRS but they had both QBI and iterative calculation for IRA and SEHI and Obamacare credit. I wonder if it is related to this and my Drake software calculations. I've basically been trusting Drake on the iterative calculation. I've double checked a few QBI calculations and did not note any issues.

skassel  
Never had that problem in 26 years. My clients either owe large amounts or the refunds are offset to the large amounts owed.
Steve Kassel, EA

mscash  
Lots. Everybody wants theirs yesterday

Return to Taxation