Kiplinger Tax Letter

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
chris  
I received a promo/offer for Kiplinger Tax Letter, 26 issues (publishes every other week apparently) - for $38

Is this worth it or is it basically a regurgitation of information easily found on the IRS site or all the other emails I get chock full of information? If it nets things down to what is important to focus on and critical conversations needed with clients, etc. then that would be worth it -- if it's just a bag of facts then, no.

What do you guys/gals think?
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

JAD  
Bag of facts. Visually unappealing to read. Nothing new. Nothing in depth. IMO.

TaxDude  
I agree - visually unappealing. Bag of facts; short, to-the-point text bursts.

belle  
The only advantage I've ever found re: Kiplinger's is that some clients do read it, and then call with specific questions on those to-the-point text bursts. So if you've read it, you *might* be better prepared for those phone calls. I've seldom read anything there that I hadn't already become aware of from other sources (like this and other forums...).

makbo  
belle wrote:I've seldom read anything there that I hadn't already become aware of from other sources (like this and other forums...).

Way back, shortly after ACA was passed into law, Kiplinger pointed out how the IRS is very limited in its ability to collect the ACA SRP (individual penalty), due to no levies and no ability to share lien information with third parties. It wasn't until several years later that I ever saw anyone else write about this. That is the only time I remember seeing something valuable in Kiplinger that I didn't see anywhere else. I've only ever subscribed at the promo rate, after a few years they tend to come around and offer it again.

lawade  
I receive mine free and love it. Very informative and to the point.

chris wrote:If it nets things down to what is important to focus on and critical conversations needed with clients, etc. then that would be worth it -- if it's just a bag of facts then, no.

It's factual. They don't fill it up with rumors about future legislation or aggressive interpretations of narrow rulings. Not much context for planning, either, which is the basic question in original post.

So no, nothing unique for practitioners with other news sources. But it's a quick scan for highlights and I always find something I've otherwise missed. (I don't subscribe, but get a sample two or three times a year.) It's accurate and convenient, good value. It's been $38 forever; they probably supplement that by selling their mailing lists.

I find they do highlight some pertinent cases, but usually a month or so after decision, but for that cost, it is worth it

makbo  
4Seasons wrote:
chris wrote:If it nets things down to what is important to focus on and critical conversations needed with clients, etc. then that would be worth it -- if it's just a bag of facts then, no.

It's factual. They don't fill it up with rumors about future legislation or aggressive interpretations of narrow rulings. Not much context for planning, either, which is the basic question in original post.
[...] It's been $38 forever; they probably supplement that by selling their mailing lists.

To the contrary, I found that they did include speculation, if not rumors, about future legislation, and they did give various planning tips, if not context. And the $38 is far lower than the renewal rate.

TaxDude  
I paid $67 to renew my subscription last year. I think the $38 is an introductory rate. I'm considering dropping it when it comes up for renewal in a couple of months though. And I agree with makbo - lots of speculation and rumors.

FWIW, we've always rather liked it. They are forever trying to get us to buy their other publications, which we have no interest in. But the Tax Letter itself has proven useful to us over time. The cost is modest enough for an office with several CPAs/preparers to spread it across, but maybe would be harder to justify for a sole practitioner.

I paid $67 to renew my subscription last year.

I think $67 is rather pricey. If you wait a few months and ignore the renewals, they will send you a new "last-chance offer" for a lot less. I didn't renew this year, but the last offer I received was about $20-$30. Just FYI.

ATSMAN  
I agree with the points made and I too get it for the very same reason. I find many clients relate to that better than me printing out a copy of the regs or a copy of the pubs!

Return to Business Operations and Development