Lacerte 2016 - Problems launching

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Wiles  
We downloaded and installed Lacerte 2016 earlier this week. We seem to have problems launching the program.

If we launch the program first, before opening up any other program, then all is good. But if we launch any other program first, such as Lacerte 2015, Outlook, QuickBooks, etc., then we cannot launch Lacerte 2016.

It initially opens. We input our username and password. Then we see the Client List for a split second, and then it closes itself.

We are using Windows 7 Professional.

Anybody else having this problem?

Opened QB, outlook, Lacerte 15, then 16. Runs fine. Windows 10.

Did it give you a pop-up that's behind all the other windows? Maybe you have to fine something hidden.

Wiles  
Thanks.

There is a very brief pop up that says something about Connected Services. That's about all I can see before the program closes itself. No hidden windows.

We are logging into the new password thing no problem. Like I said, it works OK if it is the first program that I launch.

We have a Win 10 machine that is OK. This is only happening on our Win 7 machines. Anybody out there with Win 7?

Wiles  
I was able to grab a print screen of the error message in that split second. It says, "A problem occurred while checking Connected Services. You may need to Sign In again to use some features." If we use Lacerte 2016 first, then we don't get this message.

I also tried playing around. I connect to Connected Services in 2015 Lacerte. Then launched 2016 Lacerte. It gives the 2016 login screen. I put in the email and password. The Client List pops up for a split second, then the program crashes.

sjrcpa  
There is a known issue with 32 bit Windows
https://accountants.intuit.com/support/ ... d=SLN97980

Most of the people with the issue used Windows 7

makbo  
sjrcpa wrote:There is a known issue with 32 bit Windows

That's a good find. Even though I'm hardly a fan of Intuit, I have usually found the vendor to be the best first place to stop for support with bugs. Although, I've read comments elsewhere that Intuit hasn't been answering their phones very timely as of late.

Wiles  
Thank you, sjrcpa. That fixed it. I appreciate the help!

sjrcpa  
You're welcome

Wiles  
Have you ran today's update? Any problems getting that thing to install?

sjrcpa  
Installed without issue

JAD  
On hold for 2+ hours today. Still on hold. If you all hear about an accountant in No Ca who went ballistic, it was me. I pay for this????

JAD  
So here is what really fries me. Around the time of the Sony hack, I decided to take my client information offline. Easy solution to viruses, hackers, etc. I get REP access from the online computer, transfer the file back to the offline computer, remove the file from the online computer, and do my work.

Now the IRS has made rules that require my computer to talk to Lacerte every time I sign on. My clients' data has to be on a computer that is less secure. This is BS. In addition, when my internet connection goes down, which it invariably does on occasion, I won't be able to work in Lacerte unless I am already signed in and remember to work in the program every 30 minutes, no matter what.

Freakin government geniuses telling the rest of us what to do and how to do it. My system was more secure than what they are demanding. They are forcing me to make my office less secure and less stable.

Frankly  
JAD wrote:Now the IRS has made rules that require my computer to talk to Lacerte every time I sign on.
[...]
Freakin government geniuses telling the rest of us what to do and how to do it.

Don't be fooled - IRS has not made any rules. They have discussed with vendors various ways to improve security and the VENDORS decide what they're going to do, if anything. Intuit likes to imply that the government mandates this stuff with the result being that poorly implemented "solutions" get blamed on the evil government.

JAD  
Is that true? I could have sworn that I was told during CPE and by Lacerte that this was IRS mandated. I could be wrong. In any case, my world is less secure than it was.

irc162  
Account Deactivated
I agree with Frankly. This is Lacerte's interpretation of the new rule.

I run the same type of operation you do. My client info stays offline until I E file. Then I transfer it to an online computer, do the E file and once that is complete, eliminate the file from that computer. Not only does this seem to help guard against viruses, but since making this change, I have had far fewer computer glitches.

My returns are prepared using Drake. Once you initially set up the system, you don't need to be online to sign on to the system and work on returns. I just need to be online for updates to the program and for E file.

Unitl a year ago, I used Lacerte. The usual looooooog wait for support was one of the many reasons I made a change. I was also turned off by the need to sign into their system online every time I wanted to use the program. They instituted the online sign up even before the IRS rule change was in place. The only difference is it wasn't mandatory until this year.

It makes me uneasy that once I sign into Lacerte online, Intuit can monitor every single thing I am doing in the program. Are they also monitoring other computer activity? How much of what I do in Lacerte--or on mycomputer-- gets fed back to the folks at Intuit? And what are they doing with that information?

Wiles  
From Lacerte:
New IRS Standards for Tax Year 2016 Identity Authentication.

We are experiencing larger than normal call volume as we help our customers become compliant with the new IRS Summit login requirements and we are diligently working to improve our response time. We apologize for the increased wait times you may experience. We appreciate your patience and thank you for being a Lacerte customer.

https://accountants.intuit.com/support/ ... oduct=true

This IRS Summit that they refer to was a meeting with software companies and the IRS where the software companies made the requirements per the IRS' suggestions. It is not an IRS requirement.

jon  
I am on Ultra, but my friend using Lacerte E'd me yesterday saying no State IDs were coming forward I think he said for W-2s when proformed?? When he talked to Lacerte they said that they had be informed by the States that there were so many bogus numbers that Lacerte was told not to bring them forward the States want them reentered? He asked if they were going to have a fix and they said no they were doing as what was told to them by the States??? He is not happy-are there any others who have noticed that ? I reviewed a few clients and Ultra is bringing the data forward.

Wiles  
I sent a letter to my clients saying I was raising my fees 50% as per the new IRS Fee Requirement.

I tried to tell my wife there was a new IRS Marital Copulation Requirement. She didn't buy it.

JAD  
irc162, thanks for letting me know that I was not the only person dealing with security issues by simply moving as much as possible offline.

My IT person just left. My offline computer now has online capability. She downloaded 3 protection programs and said that I have to update Windows since I will be online sometimes. 140 updates - it's been a full two years since this computer has been online.

Lacerte requires us to connect online when we sign in. Now I have a button that I press that takes me online so I can do that. Then I can go offline again. We don't have to be online to use the program. Of course, if I walk away from the computer for 30+ minutes, I have to press the button to go online again to sign on.

She said that computers get infected when people surf online and open emails. She said that if all I'm doing is logging into Lacerte and downloading updates for the 3 protection programs, the chances are really low that something is going to happen. She said that the infections don't come into our systems without us taking some action to let them in.

Nanny state, forcing upon me what they think is best to manage my security. My system was better before.

Return to Business Operations and Development